Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Garmin Vector S – any real world experiences?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

So with the Vector S now about the same price as the cheaper Stages models, and having had some recent bother with a new PowerTap, I am tempted. Seems fairly hassle free. Not sure I’d take much advantage of the easy swap-ability but it is an added bonus. Assuming support would be good being Garmin. Option to upgrade to dual sided in the future too. All sounds pretty good.

So what are they like to live with? How well do they work? Any problems?

(And I know there are cheaper PMs on the way to market but I don’t want to wait till next year for an unknown product.)

Thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone?

Also does anyone know if they now come with a crow foot adapter supplied?

techsmechs
    Free Member

I have had Vector since December last year and have found the system to be the most consistent PM I’ve used – Its had its problem and a replacement set but the support was good and new pair have been great. Even batteries have lasted realy well! So i would say the ‘S’ version to be exactly like it

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/power2max-rotor-3d-f-roa/

FTW, proper PM with left/right split (a bit guesstastc but it’s there) and pretty good battery life. Only 130BCD though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks monkeyfudger. Already got one of the new P2M with rotor cranks on the TT bike and it a very good bit of kit. Had a long hard look at getting another. Though whenever I priced up all the bits I’d need (new rings, BB, etc.) it starts looking quite expensive and more hassle. Also P2M take a few weeks to deliver and I’m a bit impatient. The Vector do look to be the best fit for what I want right now. Not bothered about left/right for this application, it’s really just for training on the winter bike.

Thanks techsmechs. Did you deal with Garmin directly or your LBS?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I have a set of the Vectors from when they where first released back in October last year. From October through to December I hade 3 sets replaced all due to the bearings wearing rapidly. Garmin where good about it but it was a right pain. The set sent to me in March have lasted through till now, however I do know have a very wobbly left hand pedal again. I do also have to change the batteries every 45 hours or so.

Other than this the power reading have been generally good. However since getting them I have realised that PM based pedals aren’t a great idea. Any kind of substantial crash and you can say good bye to them.

All in all they have been ok, if I was buying again then I would defiantly want a crank based PM.

techsmechs
    Free Member

When I had the problem? They went back through where I got them from and they were excellent. A replacement set came straight out.

I’ve ridden about 6,500 miles on both pairs and I cant say I have noticed a significant variation in measurement in that time. Before they went back I had about 4months battery life from the original set. My only comment is, it takes af few rides for them to settle in – IE ride, come back and re-torque and then they are good. Bit inconsistent on the first couple of rides but after that pretty rock solid.

scratch
    Free Member

What was the problem with the PT? I’ve been looking at Stages but due to battery / water issues I’m starting to look at the Powertaps again.

P2M would be ideal but a little to costly all in.

mrblobby
    Free Member

scratch, see my whinging here. Had an intermittent fault that just seemed to get worse. Sent it back.

Ordered the Vector S now. If the 4iiii had been available I’d have probably gone for multiple crank based ones, but the Vector will make for a handy solution in the meantime.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You’re not going to get away from a new BB but when I got mine I just use the rings already on my current cranks, battered ’em through winter then stuck new ones on in Spring. Feel your patience thing though, bank transfer is a pain too. I don’t think I’d go near Stages/Vectors based on battery life alone, it’d also be in the back of my mind that 2 PM’s from the same company would be much more likely to match and ensure my data lined up, fickle, yep!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

😀 scratch ^ that then, seems I’m fickle and a slow typer 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks monkeyfudger. I’ll buy a job lot of batteries 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

However since getting them I have realised that PM based pedals aren’t a great idea. Any kind of substantial crash and you can say good bye to them.

Really though? Really? How big would a crash have to be to actually destroy pedals? Scuff em a bit sure. But you could snap a crank too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That was my thought too, I’ve had a few big crashes on mtb and road and never ever damaged a pedal beyond a few scuffs. Maybe the pods look a bit fragile but they are cheap-ish to replace.

sweaman2
    Free Member

“Hijack”

Why would you need new BB for the P2M? I’m contemplating a p2m and was just thinking you’d take the chainset off; fit rings to p2m chainset and re-install…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It depends. From memory (= probably wrong!) the 3D is BB30 so you probably wouldn’t need a new BB (I’d probably put one in anyway) but the 3D+ is compatible with Shimano style and BB30 you just need a suitable BB. Obviously there’s a few other chainsets available too, it just depends what you’ve got in there now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

30mm axle on most of their chainsets. You can get a 24mm version though that’ll fit more traditional BB. What chainset you taking off?

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think I’m ok then. I’m taking an FSA Gossamar off a Cervelo and am intending to replace it with a p2m type s fsa gossamar bb386 evo (quite the mouthful). As they’re both basically the same crankset I was assuming I was ok (and it sounds like I probably am)

Thanks all.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m counting down the days till one of these to turn up –
    http://4iiii.com/product/precision/

Slightly nervous at being a guinea pig buying a new product, but my legs aren’t worth anything more expensive 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ooh interesting! What’s the ETA?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looking forward to the review of that. I’ll probably get one if it’s good and they stick to that price point. Though needed something now and given recent hassle I can’t be bothered with the risk of it being a dud.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Should be turning up in about 3 weeks I think. UK dealers are getting them in Feb-ish iirc.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Not sure I’d take much advantage of the easy swap-ability but it is an added bonus

they needs a torque wrench?

stages just need an allen key

i had some Polar pedal ones, managed to bork the install and snapped the pod, 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

I’m counting down the days till one of these to turn up –
    http://4iiii.com/product/precision/

Very interested to see how you get on with that, definitely the front runner for me. Just waiting to see UK pricing and who the distributor are.

mrblobby
    Free Member

stages just need an allen key

You don’t torque your pinch bolts? 🙂 And that’s only if you have compatible cranks or BB on the bikes you’d want to swap between.

I really hope 4iiii get a decent UK distributor. If they can hit a similar price in the UK to the US and the product is good then they’d clean up.

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t torque your pinch bolts? And that’s only if you have compatible cranks or BB on the bikes you’d want to swap between.

I don’t. I’d agree Stages is easier to swap about I must say!

I really hope 4iiii get a decent UK distributor. If they can hit a similar price in the UK to the US and the product is good then they’d clean up.

Agreed, they really seem to be onto a winner, DC Rainmaker seemed impressed with his pre-production one, if they can undercut Stages with a proper dual sided one then they’re laughing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d agree Stages is easier to swap about I must say!

Not for me as the bike the Vector is destined for has an old square taper crankset which I can’t be bothered to change right now. So Stages not really an option. If I did want to get a compatible crankset I’d probably just get the Rotor LT as at least you get the whole crankset and not just one arm. If I didn’t need it now I’d just get a (hopefully) cheap 4iiii Precision and stick it on myself 🙂

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Lets ask a simple question njee20. When you fall in a crash or just simply drop your bike what are the first two contact points to connect to the floor… pedal and bars on a road bike.

I have had one bike crash so far with my Vectors which was sprinting on the road and hitting ice. Snapped the pedal in half and Garmin said they where concerned by the possible effects on the internal strain gauges.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quick PSA for those wanting a Stages. Merlin 10% discount code till Monday (MERLIN10) which brings the 105 Stages down to 540 quid. Pretty good price there.

njee20
    Free Member

Lets ask a simple question njee20. When you fall in a crash or just simply drop your bike what are the first two contact points to connect to the floor… pedal and bars on a road bike.

I have had one bike crash so far with my Vectors which was sprinting on the road and hitting ice. Snapped the pedal in half and Garmin said they where concerned by the possible effects on the internal strain gauges.

First two contact points depend on the crash, in order for it to be the pedal you must have had the bike slide out, in which case I’d certainly expect superficial damage, but not a more comprehensive failure of the pedal. Clearly you’ve had it happen with a Vector, but I still maintain that more people will have (and are more likely to) damaged cranks irreparably than pedals.

I’d sure as **** not expect a pedal to snap in half if you simply drop your bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

All installed and first ride done. Found my torque wrench a bit vague when tightening in the wrong direction (left hand pedal thread) so ordered the park tools deflection one. Other than that it’s pretty simple. Pairing and calibration simple too. First ride, power readings were about what I’d expect based on years of riding with a PM. Really happy with it so far.

Shall pop it on my other bikes and compare it to the Power2max and the Powertap at some point soon.

The pedal pod doesn’t seem fragile but I’ll probably be a bit more careful than usual when storing the bike.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Vector S – any real world experiences?’ is closed to new replies.