Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • garmin or iphone app?
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Am i right in saying that theres a gps app for an iphone to enable you to plot ure route & save it,similar to that of say a garmin 405 forunner ?,or should i just buy wanna them as theyre ideal for mtb arnt they ?.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a secondhand smartphone purely for use as a gps, using mmtracker.

we’ll see how it goes…

redfordrider
    Free Member

Garmin Forerunner 305 are excellent value. Easy to move between bike and wrist. I’m on my third having accidentally smashed one and lost the other. Mrs R has the 405, but it’s not as easy to use. Also, the touch bezel thing can be difficult to use. At least the 305 has buttons which can be used with gloves.

Battery life is the main advantage over a smart phone.

street
    Free Member

I recently started using ViewRanger my DHD, I assume its available on the Iphone too.

Its a really good app, lets you use OS maps of the area you are riding, import GPX files and track them as you ride etc.

I don’t have a problem with battery life, I just turn off all the unnecessary things and put it in airplane mode while I’m riding.

mollyiom
    Free Member

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was pointed to the view ranger app,

I down loaded the app, bought the 1:25K maps of the lakes and a holder for the bike, Using an iPhone 4.

This allowed me to load in routes for me to follow when in areas I’m unfamiliar with and opened up a whole new world for me.

All great stuff, BUT using an iPhone 4 on a ride over 4 hours the battery was ready to die and with no means od changing the battery i was snookered.

Bit the bullet and bought a Garmin 800 trail bundle i the end. must say though i found view ranger better to use.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

For IPhone 4 and viewranger battery problems, turn off wi-fi
    and 3G if long trip

mollyiom
    Free Member

yeah i did all that HNR but i found i was constantly babysitting the battery.Bare in mind i was riding solo in unknown areas with only large scale backup paper maps. I found myself in a situation where i had 20% battery life showing 15 mile from start point. dead battery = dead lifeline = no navigation.

For short rides with a backup phone or indeed a phone that you can swap batteries view ranger is brilliant.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Is it free ?

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

It’s not free you pay for maps
    From a full charge , a 2 – 2 1/2 hour ride will leave me with 60-70% battery
    That’s with screen light always on and Wifi off
    15 month old iphone 4

mollyiom
    Free Member

premium is just under 15 quid that allows you do download a certain amount of maps. It does all start to add up though when you subscribe to online maps for plotting.

Edit to add:

Had a few issues setting it up and sent an email to support and got a reply out of hours within half an hour.

Its a great app Just wasn’t suitable for full day rides for me.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve already got the memory map qct files (partially legit), and mmtracker is free, so that won’t cost me anything. And I’m only using the phone as a GPS, so no 3G or even cell connection, and I don’t plan on running other apps.
    And I’ve found a source of bigger batteries.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘garmin or iphone app?’ is closed to new replies.