Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin – "Map uploads"
  • martyntr
    Free Member

Mrs TR bought me a 705 for xmas and I'm (hopefully) going to be using it for finding my way round the HONC on Sunday. Problem is that I can't seem to get the file uploaded.

I've downloaded the gpx file onto my computer from the HONC site. Opened it in Basecamp where I can see and follow the route (zoom in etc etc). I've cut and pasted it onto the Garmin, but I still can't open it as a saved ride.

What am I doing wrong ???

HELP !!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Don't Garmin use .gbd file extensions for saved rides?
    Can you save it as a .gbd file then try again?

martyntr
    Free Member

Not sure…. but the GPX opens in the Basecamp software, and the instructions talk of GPX files, so I'm not sure……

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What works on my eTrex is:

Import the GPX file to Basecamp (File – Import)
    Select the track
    Convert to Route (Edit – Create Route from Track)
    Send to GPS making sure that 'Routes' is ticked.

martyntr
    Free Member

Sorted – was saving it to E drive. Now I've saved it to the saved routes file on the E drive, it's all good. I'm assuming that Greet road and vineyard street are in Winchcombe….. 😉 as there's not enough "ll's" for my locale….

Dibbs
    Free Member

Download the GPX file from the HONC site (make sure you get the correct one as there seems to have been some late changes), copy it to the GPX folder on the 705, job done!

BigJohn

It is best to load routes you want to follow as a course (.crs files). They're very very accurate and are small (there is a waypoint restriction on routes I think.

There is a piece of freeware you can google for GPX2CRS.exe.

They go into the training menu. Select training, courses then select your course and "follow course".

What is Basecamp? I know Training Center, but not Basecamp.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin – "Map uploads"’ is closed to new replies.