Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Garmin ETrex Help!
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I'm on the verge of buying/being bought a Garmin ETrex H. But I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what else I need to buy with it! Obviously I'll be wanting a bar mount but which cable do I need to connect the GPS to my PC (to USB I assume??).

Ta
    Dave

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It should be USB, and will probably come with a cable in the box anyway. Depending on the model and what you want to do with it, you might also need a micro SD card, some maps, and some planning software.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, got Memory Map and I can get hold of a micro SD card. The cable is the thing thats bugging me though as in the box of the model that everywhere seems to sell, theres no mention of the cable. I know you get cables in the higher range models but a) it doesn't seem like you do with the 'H' and b) what cable do I need then!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I'm afraid I'd go for something like the Legend HCx if I wanted something to connect to the PC, it comes with the cable and has a much better screen.
    You'll also need some software on the PC to make the best use of the GPS (Memory Map or similar).
    Edit:
    Just double checked and its a Serial connection on the eTrex H, not USB, unless you have a serial port on your PC I'd steer clear.
    No micro SD slot on the eTrex H either.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why wouldn't the ETrex be decent to connect to the PC? I just want a basic GPS to upload and download routes to/from and the ETrex seems to fit the bill perfectly (according to a review in ST in 2009).

househusband

The eTrex H will do just what you want, and it's a great wee GPS. I bought the lot from Amazon; eTrex H, interface cable, handlebar mount, and USB to RS232 converter cable.

Cable and converter cable.

The eTrex H is not directly USB, hence the need for the converter cable. It does not accept Micro SD cards.

geoffj

eTrex H is fine, but out of the box it connects to a good old fashioned serial port. If your puter doesn't have one of them, you need a serial – usb adapter + the serial cable.

this serial cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-interface-cable-serial-connector/dp/B00004VX23

and one of these: http://www.nhbs.com/garmin_etrex_serial_to_usb_converter_cable_tefno_158382.html&tab_tag=album

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers HH, just what the thread title asked for 😉

diggers
    Free Member
    adam1330
    Free Member

Have a look at this thread, I have put a couple of links to the cable and connector that I have just got for mine, all works perfectly for around £16.
    Another thing you might need, if you have oversize handlebars on your bike is one of these, the handlebar mount bit that comes in the packet with the replacement back for the eTrex is for standard bars only.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So out the box is comes with a GPS > serial cable? That should be ok (will have a root around behind the PC in a minute).

househusband

So out the box is comes with a GPS > serial cable?

No. Doesn't come with any cabling; hence both myself and Jesus on a bendy bus linked to what you'll need.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, I'm starting to dumb down for work tomorrow – cheers (again!)

boblo
    Free Member

Be a little cautious. If you buy an Etrex H + cable + RS232 adapter, you're almost at the same price as a Legend that comes c/w a USB cable.

The H is ~£80, the cable ~£30 and the adapter ~£10 = £120. You can get the Legend for ~£120 and it has 250 waypoints per route which is much more like it for biking (H has 125).

Caveat emptor….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers – might look at that too then!

michaelr
    Free Member

I agree with boblo about the costing of the etrex legend Hcx which also takes a micro SD card so you can put this free mapping on which is far better than the basic installed map
    http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

brakeswithface

Etrex = £75 quid
    USB cable from gpsbitz (data only, no need for power) – £13

Leaves us some way off the cost of a legend and does everything needed of it.

geoffj

eTrex H for less than £60 here: http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2319

househusband

Depends what you want the GPS for; if for logging where you've been and setting waypoints then the eTrex H is all you'll need for little money. Personally, I'd never go anywhere that needed a map without an OS map and a compass – have seen riders try and depend on GPS unit on-screen mapping… 🙄

snowslave

Dave, don't worry about waypoint capacity. I use a geko 201, the one you're looking it is a bit better but same sort of thing. You plot out the route on memory map using waypoints as a track, but then convert it into a track (right click on the route whilst in memory map – it's one of the options). Then it has zilch waypoints and device memory is not a problem.

Thing I like about the cheap ones is they're robust, you can drop them in streams etc, and if you hypothetically (hem hem) were to leave one on your car roof and lose it, it's not as bad as buying a zingy one with maps etc and losing that. Frying pan – face interface alert.

Amazon etc sell them too, and they tell you what cable to look for depending on your device. I found some guy on tinternet that builds the cables in his garden shed at a v reasonable price. I'll see if I can find his details.

boblo
    Free Member

brakeswithface – Member
    <snip>
    USB cable from gpsbitz (data only, no need for power) – £13
    <snip>

Is that the etrex to RS232 cable or a generic mini USB/USB cable? If the latter, it won't fit. You also need to add a RS232/USB converter.

snowslave – Premier Member
    <snip>
    You plot out the route on memory map using waypoints as a track, but then convert it into a track
    <snip>

If you do that, do you get the prox warnings and nice little arrows to tell you when to turn or do you have to follow a breadcrumb trail? I use waypoints and prox warnings all the time to give direct arrow based nav. Each to their own I suppose but if you follow a breadcrumb are you not always squinting at the screen to confirm you're on course?

boblo
    Free Member

Brakeswithface, I answered my own question:

gpsbitz etrex h cable

Good find, Garmin want £30 for that part!

So given that you can get the H for ~£60 up there and the other bits and bobs are about £20, that makes it £80 vs £120 for the Legend. May not be worth the difference for you depending on what you want from the unit.

The H is simple and robust as pointed out above. I've had one for ~10 years and its been pretty good. Got waterlogged once (they are supposed to be waterproof) changed by Garmin no questions asked and the replacment's backlight went, again changed under warranty. That's why Garmin are really good, the warranty is superb. Not sure about car roof/road interfaces tho 🙂

snowslave

When you load a route onto my geko as a track and then select the option to follow it, it appears on the screen as a thick line to follow, just the same as a route. You leave the breadcrumb line with where you've actually been still. It's actually no different to following a route on the screen when you're using it.

I could run it from the compass screen, in which case you can follow the arrow, but I use that less. On that screen it still comes up with "turn ahead" and stuff like that. The only time it is different is if I added some commentary on a route at a particular waypoint. Very rare I do this – for eg if completely off piste looking at a crashed bomber site or something like that.

To be honest, I usually memorise the route on memory map first – kind of happens anyway as I'm plotting it. Then when I'm out riding I glance at the screen occasionally for reference, but it's not as if I'm glued to the screen if that makes sense? I still use maps too.

edit – oh yes, +1 for the service from garmin, I've found them to be superb

boblo
    Free Member

Got it. Funny innit, I always nav from the arrow screen and never look at the route/breadcrumb screen. I do make use of the waypoint prox warnings you can add in MM as when wizzing around on a bike, sometimes you can go past a turn particularly if it's a bit complex…

I never do this on foot tho. In fact, I very rarely use the GPS when on foot. It's usually in the sac recording the route for later 'analysis'.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

I've been using a basic b&w etrex for years (etrex camo). Reliable but can take some time to get a satellite fix (the new versions are faster). Only problem I've had was the battery terminal fixing broke and had to solder it back together (now more careful with it). No need for MM – I use bikehike (link below) to design routes then download as a gpx file to the etrex using a cheap serial cable – you can also get elevations ect with it. You'll need the bike mount as you say – also AA Nimh 2700ah rechargeables are good. I also have a holster type holder for it with a carabinier attachment so attaching to me rucksack when hillwalking.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/

snowslave

boblo – that's where I got my last cable from, good find eh?

clubber
    Free Member

Just another vote on the etrex h. I've been using mine for a few years now and it does the job very well.

Top tip: If you get a USB cable for the H, it's actually a combined USB to serial convertor and a serial cable (it's all one piece but that's what's under the plastic) which means that you usually need to install drivers for the convertor to get it to work.

clubber
    Free Member

I always follow the plotted route screen btw 🙂

Jenga
    Free Member

boblo – Member

Got it. Funny innit, I always nav from the arrow screen and never look at the route/breadcrumb screen

Same here. All I really want to know is where to turn, so the approaching waypoint bleep alerts me to look at the arrow, and as I set the unit to show distance to next waypoint I've got a pretty good idea when to turn. All this assumes that I plot the route accurately beforehand.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Garmin ETrex Help!’ is closed to new replies.