Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin eTrex HCx gps models – anyone use one?
  • cinnamon_girl

My eTrex Legend has been struggling with satellite reception in … wait for it … Outer Mongolia 😉 Just kidding, the Chilterns actually!

Just wondering whether anyone uses the HCx models which apparently can be used in the jungle 😯

Thank you so much!

neilb67
    Free Member

Have you got the latest software for the unit as Garmin regularly update the GPS receiver software aswell. I normally check every couple of months.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I use a Legend HCX. No problems anywhere. The "H" models are superb at picking up signals. Dense forests are no problem. Never lost a signal and I've been using it for approx 4 years.

cinnamon_girl

Ah good point, thanks!

cinnamon_girl

Chatsworth – so dense forests are OK then. Could I ask, do you use an SD card with it? Do you plot routes and export to gps? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts in more detail, if you don't mind. Thanks 🙂

jwr

I use a Vista HCx and there is a noticeable improvement in GPS reception compared to the standard eTrex Legend I used to use.

-j

neilb67
    Free Member

I had a 60CSX prior to my 705 and had the same problem. Poor reception and loosing signals in the trees. Phoned Garmin and they were very helpful and talked me through a master reset followed by a software update. Worked spot on after that.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

CG, where do you want to start?

I have an SD card in the back, purely because I have some maps on it. Not OS, because they cannot be put onto it, and not GARMIN TOPO because they are cr@p, but some free maps from tinterweb. Can supply a link if you want. They are nearly as good as OS, and quite good enough for my use. The unit itself without the card will hold all the data I ever need to store, prior to down(or is that up)loading to my PC. Others use bikely, bikehike etc, but I've used OS maps all my – very long – life, and feel comfortable with what the OS produces.

I plot routes on Memory Map – other mapping software systems exist – and transfer them to the unit. I follow the directions from the unit when out, and although I always carry a paper map as back up I seldom resort to it. I record my trail and down(or is that up)load it back to my PC when I return, so that I have a track of where I've been. Very useful for finding out where I went wrong, or where to alter the route for next time. Others use the "trail" facility, but I don't find these as easy to follow as the big compass arrow, which just points to the front all the time and is an almost instant check on being on the correct route.

I can make a "mark" on GPS of interesting points and show these on MM on return. Can be useful at times.

A Legend will do so much more than I want it to, but that's true of any electronic gizmo. Really I use mine as a direction pointing tool, with the recording facility for when I get back. I'd be lost without it. Care is needed plotting routes before my rides, but it saves having to stop every five minutes to get the map out.

IIRC there's not a great deal of difference between the Legend and the Legend H models, apart from the vastly superior reception, due to a totally different aerial being fitted.

Enough? If not mail me.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for your replies.

If I do replace it (it also has a cracked screen from a little 'off'), would prefer Garmin. I know there are some real all-singing all-dancing models available but I really couldn't ride my bike with £400 worth of gps on the riser bar 😯

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

If you do get a new HCX, get one each of these:-

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2394.html
    http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod4137.html

Only cost a tenner or so, and will hold your unit nice and firmly on your bars.

cinnamon_girl

Chatsworth – that's exactly the kind of reply I was looking for 🙂 Thank you.

I was not convinced by the look of the Topo maps, doesn't seem to be sufficient detail. Need to read more about these SD cards though. Presumably they would be useful if you are on holiday and riding consecutive days in perhaps different areas.

Have used Tracklogs for donkey's years in the same way that you use Memory Map. But the reception on my Legend seems to be worse than my very old yellow basic eTrex.

Thanks again, your reply has been very useful 🙂

damitamit
    Free Member

Chatsworth, would be interested in a link to the free maps you are using. Planning on getting a Dakota 20, but am dubious of how good the garmin TOPO maps are.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Me too Chatsworth. Got a Vista with the Garmin topo maps on and would like to see an alternative.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I've had a couple of e-mails and replied to them. Don't know if they're from you 2^^. If not mail me direct.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Strewth, I'm getting swamped!

I use the maps provided by

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

They are very good, not as good as OS, but not far short. The link will give you all the info you need.

You will need a card to plug into your GPS, but these are readily available. To transfer the data to the card I used IMG2GPS, and a link to that is also included somewhere in the blurb. Worth doing, at least I thought so.

I got the link from a guy called abductee who lives here and on Bike Radar. He's the expert, and will put you right if you look him up.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member
    boriselbrus
    Free Member

Just a quick note. Yes, the HCX is very good, mine never loses reception even in dense trees and in steep valleys.

I'm probably alone, but I quite like the TOPO maps. Sure they don't have all the paths and bridleways, but then OS maps don't have all the paths either. They do have contours, all roads, and thousands of POI. I have the talkytoaster maps, and they are OK if you live in a popular area where someone has put the information in. My in-laws-in-sin live in Banchory, and on talkytoaster half the town doesn't even exist!

timothecimmerian

I have the Talkytoaster OSM on my Legend HCX and for a free piece of software is much better than what the unit comes with as standard, but nowhere near OS level (not that I was expecting it to be!)

I'm perfectly happy with it as it gives me a very good indication of where I am, and what's coming up in terms of height gain/loss. As Boriselbrus says, the maps aren't exhaustive and frequently don't show roads, trails etc – but for free, it's great and my brother wishes he could get it loaded onto his Yellow Etrex which (sadly for him) has no SD card slot.

I use Tracklogs to plan my tracks and upload them to the GPS and away I go. I also take a back up map, but rarely use it.

CG, I've also had nothing buy great reception from my HCX unit too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin eTrex HCx gps models – anyone use one?’ is closed to new replies.