Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Garmin – CRAP!
  • samuri
    Free Member

I've given them a few chances but they've failed me again and again.

Here's my opinion of Garmin. Complete pants. Do not buy their products, please buy GPS devices from another manufacturer.

I bought an HCX legend a few months ago. After about a month the device started turning itself off for no reason. I initially though it might be a loose battery but they were in nice and stiff and shaking and banging it about didn't make it turn off, only when I was moving around (i.e. riding along) would it fail. I spent a couple of weeks trying to get Garmin to help me and after a while they eventually gave me a returns number.

I got a new device back after a week or so but this started showing exactly the same problems about a week later. I asked Garmin to sort me out again saying I was very unhappy and they completely ignored me.

There is no record of the ticket I raised on their hard to use website so whether it just got lost in their system or was deliberately deleted I don't know but their customer service sucks almost as bad as their products. They don't even have a record of the original repair.

Don't buy.

rolfharris
    Free Member

You fitted it wrong or jetwashed it[/quote from superstar]

Are you speaking to Garmin or Madison? Madison bring them in and may be able to help.

samuri
    Free Member

garmin direct, I assumed I was speaking to the organ grinders but obviously not.

snaps
    Free Member

I'm on my 4th Garmin bike GPS – GPS2, GPS5, Quest & Oregon – all have been excellent.
    My only dealings with them were after I damaged one in a crash I returned it to them for a quote on the repair but it came back repaired with no charge, so I'd disagree – I'd defo buy a Garmin again.

druidh
    Free Member

Two Garmins here – a Geko 301 and an Edge 305. Both have been perfectly solid in use, with no problems at all. The Geko must be 6/7 years old? Interesting that they've never (had to) come up with a replacement. I wouldn't bother trying anything else for outdoor use.

rowemasters
    Free Member

Just for balance, I'm using the Garmin 305 forerunner.

It's been faultless for 6 months and provides more mildly interesting data than I'll ever need. I like the ZX spectrum styling too:)

About 30% discount from rrp on Amazon at the time too iirc.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Forerunner 405….no probs.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had an etrex for years now, faultless and robust. Never had to deal with them though, so no idea of customer service. I know someone who had his edge crap out due to rain but thats about it.

Nico
    Free Member

I had a problem with my GPS 12 a few years ago. The screen had gone black. The helpline were really helpful and explained how to do a reset over the phone. Eventually I realised I'd somehow reset the contrast while it was in my bag. Red face here. I was impressed with their customer service. In those days they were just overhauling Magellan as numero uno largely on the basis of a better interface.

Sandwich

My Edge 305 keeps turning off over rough ground! Not much use for recording routes.

mAx_hEadSet

I have 3 Garmin GPS's etrex oregon and cts 60 and all three are rock solid reliable and last well, one of which left on the car roof, flew off the roof at about 50 never noticed only spotted this thing on the road driving the other way a few hours later when that sinking feeling hit me about where my gps was… still working despite what ever drove over it… you wont be able to fool me with your subject nonsense title

another one of those brain out of gear rants 0/10 ppe

Bez

Only dealt with their customer service once (about MapSource rather than a unit) and they were very helpful.

Face it Jon, the world of manufacturing just hates you.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Bought a Garmin Colorado when they first came out. Never had a problem with it, and very happy with the accuracy and features.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I had a yellow eTrex unit which was about 5yrs old when I noticed the display was misted up after a very wet trip to Wales. I called Garmin and got a replacement FOC. I then broke that one following a bad crash and got a replacement at trade price (about 45 quid IIRC). Yeah, really crap customer service…

neilb67
    Free Member

The turning off problem is a known fault (on a 60csx and maybe the same on yours) and a bit of googling the forums will give you the answer. The only negative I will give Garmin is they didnt tell me when I phoned them that this could be the problem but it does mean taking the unit apart so this maybe the reason they didnt.

This explanation is for the 60CSX but maybe the same for the HCX. Take the batteries out. Unscrew the 6 screws holding the back on and gently remove the back taking care not to damage the o-ring. On the back of the battery compartment you will see two tabs that transfer the power to the GPS. They will probably be blacked, clean this and bend the tab up a bit. Do the same with the other contact patch. They recomend putting something on this but cant remember what and I didnt. Then refit and it worked for me.

dave360

"Had an etrex for years now, faultless and robust"

Ditto. So it's probably down to user error. Or demonic possession.

Professional cyclists use them you know. So they must be good.

nsaints
    Free Member

No problems withg Garmin would happily recommend them
    own both a car satnav and a edge 205

I managed to break the bike mount, purely my own fault
    called Garmin direct, they sent me a new one free of charge

How many other manufacturers would do that?

CHB

Only ever had excellent service from Garmin. Great products and good back up (got a free mount when mine snapped, mate had an old GPS12 replaced at cost…etc). Think they are the Hope of the GPS world!

Gilbie
    Free Member

Are you using rechargeable batteries? Some brands of these are 1.5mm shorter and will cause the unit to power off during an impact. Also the system has options to set which batteries you are using. Have you set these? This gives more accurate charge indication.

Jason
    Free Member

I have two Garmin units, both of which I have had to fix.

An extex legend, where the screen and joystick have stopped working. Fairly easy to fix as it just needed some connections cleaning. I bought this 2nd hand so couldn't send it back to Garmin.

A Edge 305, which suffered the common problem of turning off over bumps (seemed more of a problem on the road bike). I have fixed this by hard-wiring some of the connections together, it has been faultless ever since. In my opinion the way the contacts are made inside the Edge 305 really isn't suitable for a unit that is described as robust. I could have sent this back to Garmin, but read quite a few comments on various forums that replacement units would develop the same fault after a few months.

Annoyingly both are common faults on these two units.

PJ
    Free Member

I'll back you up Samuri.

I think Garmin have some excellent ideas, but in my experience, their products are not robust and they are not an easy company to deal with. My recent problems have been with 305 and 405 watches, mostly used for running. I have had a long list of niggling problems with both of them and would think at least twice before buying another Garmin product.

geoffj

I've always had excellent service from Garmin. They answer the phone when you call and IME they tell you up front what they will and wont do and how much it may cost.

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, I appreciate they're probably quite good for most people but after they ignored me I had to exert my consumer muscle in the only way I know how.

I'll see if they respond to the ticket I raised last night and if not I'll have a look at the contact issue described above.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Pick up the phone and speak to them (0808 2380000), my 8 year old eTrex Vista stopped receiving and I was going to bin it, I gave them a ring to see if it was worth repairing and 3 days later (for 42 quid), I got a factory replacement.

uplink
    Free Member

I've dealt with them a few times & they've always been very helpful & efficient
    I've never done it by email though, always phoned them

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My 705 has been fine. friend returned one and it got it fixed with no probs.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I used to sell Garmin GPS (amongst others), they were by far the best company to deal with as well as having (in my opinion) the best products.

Swello
    Free Member

I've used the Garmin Geko 301 for 6+ years on the bike and on foot and it has been perfect in operation. I once had a problem with a bad contact on the COM port which meant I couldn't connect it my PC and Garmin fixed it FOC (out-of-warranty) in less than a week. I like the Geko so much that I'm tempted to get a second one in case they stop making them…..

huw
    Free Member

I've had a Geko and now use an Edge 705 and FR60. All great units. Only problem I've had is that the original 705 I had developed power problems. Rang Garmin, sent it away, had a new unit back within 2 days, no questions asked, no issues, FOC. Hope they'll always be like that.

mrchrispy

Garmin have been pretty good to me actually.
    The cadence sensor that goes with my edge 705 stopped working, support sent me out a new one. New battery solved my problems with the old one so now I have 2….result!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Garmin – CRAP!’ is closed to new replies.