Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin 705 problem staying connected to speed/cadence sensor after update?
  • krixmeister

Hi all-

Wondering if anyone has come across this problem before, or has any ideas? I have a Garmin Edge 705, and use on both a Giant TCR Advanced (with built-in ANT+ compatible speed/cadence sensor) and my On One carbon 29er, with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor.
    I use the Garmin with both an HR sensor (the original that came with it) and the speed/cadence sensors. I was logged onto the Garmin Connect site recently and it recommended I upgrade to the latest firmware, so did so. No idea what I previoulsy had, but the Garmin is now Software version 3.30 and GPS version 2.10

Since the firmware upgrade, the Garmin does not seem to be able to stay “connected” to the speed/cadence sensors for more than about 20 seconds. When I turn it on, it will recognize them and show, for example, cadence – but then the cadence will go to —- (not zero, meaning it isn’t connected). A rescan for accessories will allow it to connect for another 20 seconds or so, then same problem.

I will fully admit the Garmin has seen its fair share of drops to the floor, endos, wrecks, etc so would have just put this down to “one knock too many”, except that this only happened when I upgraded the firmware.

Anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas? Is it possible to downgrade to previous versions of the firmware, and if so any ideas where to locate?

arcoolc
    Free Member

If you don’t get an answer here, it might be worth while asking in the Garmin forums https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Edge-705

traildog
    Free Member

So you’re saying you’ve two different cadence sensors and they’re both exhibiting the same behaviour? Otherwise, I’d have said check the sensors battery is connected securely, including pushing the little metal tabs out. I’ve had similar behavour with the HR monitor, but a new strap sorted it.

Have you tried contacting Garmin? I would have thought if it’s a software problem they would know about it by now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boblo
    Free Member

Tried the usual defaults? Turn The sensor off, take battery out, replace battery with new one? When mine started doing this (not related to firmware changes), I found a quick tweak to realign the sensor closer to the magnet fixed it. YMMV.

krixmeister

As a quick update – downgraded to Garmin firmware version 3.1 (from 3.3) and problem solved. Have notified Garmin support about this, but don’t expect much as they still haven’t replied to/acknowledged my original support email from last week.

For what it is worth, if anyone else has this problem…

I followed the directions here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3274366

And got the older firmware version from here:

http://garminedge705.wikispaces.com/file/list/orphaned

boblo
    Free Member

My 705 is running 3.3 without the problems you’ve had….

More Garmin witchery….. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 705 problem staying connected to speed/cadence sensor after update?’ is closed to new replies.