Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garage Security
  • Soup
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a cheap(ish) alarm for my garage? I don't mind if it's battery operated. It's about 15 metres from my house if that makes any difference. Ta.

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

I have this one, with the additional external siren.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/pir/main/XASeries/XA201/page1/

Soup
    Free Member

Any more?

Soup
    Free Member

Any more?

Lactic
    Free Member

I've got a battery powered wireless system from B&Q. The door sensors are great but the infrared detector (PIR?) chews through batteries in only a couple of days, even on maximum power saving mode. Get something which plugs into the mains would be my advice.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I'd certainly consider a mains supplied alarm with battery back-up.

Honestly, how much do you want to spend? Don't just say 'not a lot' as there's no point in getting an alarm. What features do you want? Is the house going to be alarmed too? What's the purpose of the alarm deterent or critical part of security? Is it just for the bikes or for the cars too?

If it's just for the bikes then I'd suggest some disc lock alarms and rape alarms.

Rich
    Free Member

I had one from B&Q and after a few nights of having to get up in the night to switch it off, after it had triggered for no apparent reason, I disconnected it.

Soup
    Free Member

Just for the bikes. They're always locked in there, but that didn't help my neighbour the other night. Was thinking up to 100 quid.

westy04
    Free Member

I have a Yale wireless one protecting my garage.
    The Box is located on my house high up on the eves, so no scrote can climb up and smash it.
    I have one PIR protecting the up and over doors and a door contact on the side door.
    I have never had any false alarms from it and it all cost about 40 quid from Ebay.
    Well recommended.

mk1fan
    Free Member

westy04 seems to have got a good deal. eBay is worth a scan but double check any BIN prices with a web search – several times I bought new goods cheaper away from eBay.

Not wanting to put you off but would an alarm actual give you any benefit? That is, if you're out and the alarm goes off are your neighbours going to respond to it? If it's purely a visual deterant then a blank box and sensors would be just as good.

My little group had a wake up call two weekends ago when we were camping in Wales. Someone who had turned up for the National DH Champs had five bikes nicked – we estimated about £15k worth.

Personally, I prefer a suptle approach to the external security measures. You need to look closely to see the 'improvements'. Internally I have a combination of different lock types and anchor points.

I had considered an alarm but decided a quality cctv camera (inside) would be better – simply because if the alarm did go off then no one would respond to it if I were out.

Driller
    Free Member

I have personal experience of garages being broken into for targetted MTB theft.

An alarm does work. Get a proper domesic house alarm, with a loud siren, a strobe and a back-up battery. As soon as it went off they legged it, this happened three times, including the last time when the mutants drove a 4×4 into the garage door that I had rawl bolted shut!

And this is in a very nice, quiet, rural area, not the back streets of a city.

And before people go on and on about garage security being too much hassle and they'd rather just have insurance. Just try getting insurance when you've had four break-ins in 18 months. Even after you've moved house!

Bankster
    Free Member

I got the Xena one after garage was broken into and the bikes taken last year. It is 'ok', not particulary loud and then it stopped working. I've changed the batteries but it still won't work.

I put steel bars across the windows and a wall anchor and a ground anchor in.

I want put some sort of extra lock on the door but have struggled finding one suitable. I don't want the big defender thing that shouts that's there's something worth nicking in here. Might just use a clasp lock and padlock.

I also would like to get a proper mains powered alarm on the garage. I should get onto it before I get robbed again.

Cut their bl00dy hands off I say. Thieving scum.

Flashy
    Free Member

Not an alarm but if you have a seperate entrance to the garage (I have a single door as a rear entrance) you can drill holes in the main door runners and put padlocks through. It stops the door opening more than a few inches. That and a Garador bolt lock into the floor helps……

TooTall
    Free Member

Yale do the same as the Xena alarm linked to – but you can link it in with other alarm components as well. They are rather loud and do a good job but not a substitute for physical barriers as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garage Security’ is closed to new replies.