Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gamers – advice please?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I am buying a PS3 this christmas for the family. My 10 year old already has a list of games as long as your arm for me to buy however my 6 year old will also be playing it and I don’t know what game to get him.

So In short can anyone recommend a really good game for a younger player?

Also if anyone knows where to buy a cheap PS3 Just before christmas that would be good. 😕

ski
    Free Member

Littlebigplanet, or any of the lego games Raiders/Starwars?

Cougar

any all of the lego games

FTFY.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have a copy of the original little big planet you can have for postage, looks as good as new especially to a 6 year old.

simon_g

Amazon lets you search by PEGI rating, plenty of the sports games are suitable for 3+, and the Lego ones as said.

Worth seeking out some of the music games if you’ve not played them – good family entertainment. You can get the Band Hero set for PS3 for £64 right now from Amazon which gets you guitar, drums and a mic plus one of the more kid-friendly games. All the various Guitar Hero and Rock Band games are cheap to pick up these days (much of the hype has passed), including the Lego Rock Band one that is just kid-friendly songs.

Cougar

Worth noting, Band Hero is deliberately ‘family friendly’ (and the Lego one too, obviously), whereas the others aren’t (and can play a greater range of music as a result).

simon_g

Indeed. What’s nice in the Rock Band world is that you can do all the exporting of songs from the various games on to your hard disk to be used in the other games. Lego Rock Band only allows access to the kid-friendly stuff so they can play more songs but without getting to rest (as long as you keep the game discs elsewhere).

Or just start them young on Slayer.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks for all this much appreciated. I have a wii already and Lego & Rayman type games for that – I suppose there are bound to be duplicates.

He really likes super mario cart is there a PS3 racing game of a similar type at all?

joolsburger
    Free Member

MW I’ll take you up on that offer if I may happy to pay postage , name the chairty of your choice and I’ll make a donation.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jools – did you ever see that reply to a previous thread – do you have any killer kleftiko recipes?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

MW I’ll take you up on that offer if I may happy to pay postage , name the chairty of your choice and I’ll make a donation.

send me your address. email in profile.

[edit] I’ve emailed you instead.

Bung a couple of quid in the next poppy appeal collection and I reckon we’re all square. Failing that RNLI.

Cougar

Failing that RNLI.

I’ve just spent several seconds looking at that before I realised that you weren’t telling him to do one using an acronym I’d not come across before. 😳

joolsburger
    Free Member

Kleftico??

Yes I do.

The best way is to wrap it the way my mam did. So you need baking parchment, a heavy caserole dish with lid and some string.

I use a shoulder of lamb you can trim off the fat but I don’t.

Put that meat in the parchment and then add garlic (cut in slices and inserted into the meat), salt, pepper, oregano (lots of that), a couple of chopped tomatoes, a bay leaf or two, a very little cinnamon, some chopped parsley and the juice of a lemon.

Seal it tightly with the string and then put it in the casserole and seal the lid tightly too.

Cook for a long time very slowly. I usually give mine at least 4 hours on around 150 often longer.

I serve it with lemony potatoes and veg which are exactly what they sound like. Small cubes of potatoes and veg roated in pretty much the same mix as the lamb but cooked in a hot oven uncovered for 40 minutes or so.

Klefico means stolen lamb (ish) legend has it that back in the day it was cooked by a lamb thief in a pit in the ground and sealed so there was no steam or smoke to give the game away.

The best klefico is always made with fresh herbs and a really good bit of shoulder. But it’s all in the sealing as it should steam not roast. if you like you can brown the top of the meat it under the grill for 5 minutes prior to serving.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So you don’t put your veg in with the lamb? (When I have had in in that there Greece it always comes all wrapped together).

This is making me hungry. Thank you and sorry for the thread hijack, was just wanting your insider advice 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I prefer not to but you can cook the whole lot together if you like, I like crispy veg and fall apart meat so I separate that’s how my mum did it!

GW
    Free Member

6 isn’t really young for PS3 games. he should be able to get to grips with anything 12+ rated (the ratings system is way OTT btw)

Modnation racers = PS3 mariokart clone

monkey_boy
    Free Member

make sure you set up the profiles on there so he cant get internet access etc, ‘i think’ there is a way to do this. my mates son ‘found’ some interesting websites one night when they thought he was happily playing a LEGO game!!!!!

GW
    Free Member

er..don’t do that ^^

You’ll be **** when he finally does want to use the internet/play online and will have to start all over again with zero trophies etc.

just pay attention to what they are doing/playing.

all my kids have adult PSN accounts as the age ratings (as I said above) are so ridiculously OTT.

by all means switch off voice chat and don’t let them use the internet browser.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thanks jools 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gamers – advice please?’ is closed to new replies.