Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • G Hill (Hindhead) – returning to the top
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Had my first go at GH today – the obvious area on the other side of the OPlatform. Rode the first descent carefully and frankly like a wimp. Climbed all the way back up pushing my bike and made a slightly better attempt second time around. But then kept going down, over the big lip and the final few corners before arriving in what was basically a swamp. Can anyone advise on the best way back up? Should you stop at the lip and take the flat track left? Does that join the main track down from the OP. Or can you turn R and go back towards the viewpoint.

Pretty much at my limit up there (esp on my old HT) but would like to practice more on that kind of thing. But wading (ok slight exageration) thru the swamp was not fun at the end.

Plus missed the turn at first and followed the new walkers track from the NT CP only to hear the traffic on the wrong side. Duh!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

bump – i wouldnt mind another go at GH tomorrow, so any help would be welcome

njee20
    Free Member

I have no idea what you’re talking about. GHill? OPlatform?

Not much help. Not ridden up there all that much.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ridden around hindhead a few times, have no idea what you’re talking about.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Would like to know what you are talking about as don’t live to far away!

allthepies
    Free Member

Baffled also…

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

The OP is talking about the downhill runs off Gibbet Hill, which start just north of the trig point. Towards the bottom (‘over the lip’) some jumps and stuff have been built, but it gets boggy done there! It’s a steep push back-up, either following the route ridden down or using the footpath that leads down from the trig point/memorial cross to the observation platform, built to view the northern tunnel works.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s the one. Just trying to follow Stw form and not be too explicit on the Internet although place seems quite well known. Oplatform is the viewing point for the HT 😉

Anyway thanks that’s not my name, seems there is no easy way out. Might try somewhere different tomorrow then! Given the riders who use that, it does seem odd that the exit is so bad! I didn’t crash until the swamp which didn’t make me feel good although the landing was soft!

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah, right. There are some interesting trails off Gibbet Hill to be sure 🙂

ask1974
    Free Member

Quite a few more to explore but they’re quite well hidden and only a few have easy routes out like up your way, but they’re all fun. Up there tomorrow morning 😉

NigE5
    Free Member

If you are up that way on any saturday afternoon in any weather you just cannot miss the DH riders unloading their vans at the GH trail head. Plenty of free parking at very start of the runs.
    You can get out at the very bottom and ride push! back up boundless copse road. Did it a few years back and a friend fell off just past the swamp bit and broke his wrist.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore – go to the opening of Queen Elizabeth Park trails. I’d be going myself but have a flight to take. Jedi is coming down for it so a chance to have a chat with him if you care.

thread here

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Look for the DH riders – there is a pathway to the left of that line that take you right back up to the top.

I presume this is the trail with the small gap jump over the ditch into a set of 3 or 4 jumps where the trail flattens out?

The small ‘fireroad’ you cross just before that point takes you up to the main push up route. You will spot a few more runs as well. There is stuff over to the right as well, but you will have to hunt it out (or ask someone to show you!)

hopkinsgm

…is the viewing point for the HT…

Someone built a viewing point for your hardtail? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yep, the bike not the wimpy rider!!!! 😉

(I guess you are local I know what I mean, but a good joke !)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘G Hill (Hindhead) – returning to the top’ is closed to new replies.