• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Funding for second degree?
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

Have had a big career change over the past few years, and to get to the next level I need a degree. The problem is that I did a degree (BA) nearly 20 years ago, so don’t seem to be entitled to any grants or student loan to cover £7500 p/a tuiton fees. I don’t owe any student loan money from before. I would be entitled to NHS bursary (£3500pa) which would cover half tuition fees, but that’s it. There must be a solution….. anyone got any ideas/experience of this?

Am wondering if I may be better off somewhere as an international student.

xiphon
    Free Member

Look at doing a degree part-time, spread over several years?

I’m applying to do a MSc, as I’ve hit the ‘no degree – in the bin’ ceiling.

At the same time, I’ll be funding my wife’s PhD for the next 3yrs…. ouch.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did mine part time / distance learning and fully self funded. You are lucky to get any support.

druidh
    Free Member

Anna B – Member
    Have had a big career change over the past few years, and to get to the next level I need a degree. … I would be entitled to NHS bursary (£3500pa) which would cover half tuition fees, but that’s it. There must be a solution..

The solution is that YOU pay to get YOU to the next level. Think of it as an investment…..

Anna-B
    Free Member

TJ do you mean OU? This is one option but needs employer support.
    Xiphon do you also mean OU, or p/t degree through a uni/college whilst in work?
    Druidh it sounds simple when you put it like that. If I had that kind of money then yes, not a problem.

DougD

Have a look through this:

Funding info

Though it looks to be vet focussed, there are many sources in there that are applicable to yourself eg The Educational Grants Directory,
    Guide to the Major Grant Making Trusts, The Directory of Grant Making Trusts. Involves a lot of letter writing.

druidh
    Free Member

Anna B – Member
    Druidh it sounds simple when you put it like that. If I had that kind of money then yes, not a problem.

Could you not take out a loan? Assuming you are looking to increase your salary as a result of the new qualification, you should be able to afford to pay it back.

brassneck

I’d say the OU was your best bet, they are setup for working around work life. Don’t think you need employer support..?? but you might be able to get them to pay toward it if it benefits them somehow. Try it, they can only say no.

Anna-B
    Free Member

DougD that looks great, thank you, handy there’s a long weekend coming up to look through all those websites!
    Druidh, yes, amount needed to borrow to study f/t for three years will be in the region of 40-50k I should think which is why I’ve ruled that out as an option – I did think of it.

You need to be employed in an appropriate field to do OU degree in social work, I have approached my employer, just don’t want my destiny to be in their hands if they say no – hence looking at other options.

ourmaninthenorth

At the same time, I’ll be funding my wife’s PhD for the next 3yrs…. ouch.

Ouch indeed. No funding available for her? I (like plenty of others) funded Mrs North during her 4th year when she was writing up. At the time I’d had a 50% pay rise which went up in smoke..!

xiphon
    Free Member

Part time at a local Uni – for example, I’m applying to do a MSc in Information Security @ Uni Central Lancs.

Lectures (for PT) are : Monday afternoon + eve + Tuesday eve.

I’ll come to arrangement with my employers to have Monday afternoon off, as I can easily make up the time elsewhere (nature of IT!).

For my wife’s PhD, in her area, funding simply doesn’t exist – if you are lucky enough to be offered it, those footing the bill will tell you exactly what you must research – not your choice…

Most likely, I’ll end up living with the in-Laws dirt-cheap (well paid job here – but renting a flat for one is impractical financially), while we have enough money to fund her living/studying 300 miles away.

It’s not ideal, as we’ve only been married 2 years (this August) – but needs must if we both want our careers.

marp
    Free Member

What course are you looking to do?

If they are offering an NHS bursary for a mature student, for a number of courses they will also pay your tuition fees too… well they did for my physio degree and my brothers nursing.

druidh
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anna B – Member

TJ do you mean OU? This is one option but needs employer support.

No – I did an upgrade of my nursing qualification to a degree at Stirling university. It was a mix of distance learning and lectures and part time

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks all for input and more ideas. Lol at druidhs link, if he is paying tuition fees on a lollipops man’s wages I’m clearly in the wrong job!

Kit
    Free Member

Are you applying for entry this year? Can you defer until next year to give you a chance to save up? When I quit my career to go back to uni I sold my car, sold off a bike and load of stuff I had sitting around, and moved in with my parents (kind of). From 2nd job and selling off stuff, I saved up nearly £9k in 10-11 months. If you want it badly enough then you’ll be happy to make those sacrifices!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Funding for second degree?’ is closed to new replies.