Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Full Sus 29ers
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have fallen in love with my Swift, it is the bike of choice now whenever I go on a ride. It seems to do everything well but as I'm running it fully rigid I'm not so sure how it will stand up (or rather how my body will stand up) to 12 hour events for which I usually use my Superlight.

I got to thinking that a full suss 29er might just be the business but having looked at the Niner, the Fisher Superfly and the SC offerings, can't escape from the fact that they are seriously expensive. Are there any frames/bikes out there which are more realistically priced and are also suitable for racing?

There is of course another question… do you need a full suss 29er or would a HT fit the bill instead?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I would wait for the new carbon On One to be honest, FS 29ers are very expensive when you go to the lighter end of the scale.

Alternatively, you could look out for a second hand Titus Racer x 29.

jfeb
    Free Member

Would sticking a second hand 80mm set of Rebas on the front not sort you out? I've never done a 12 or 24hr race but I would have thought that would be ideal. I bought a set a year ago off here for about £150, if memory serves.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nothing sensible priced in FS 29ers. Treat yourself to some sus forks and a fatter rear tyre and you'll be reet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

set of forks and some 2.4 racing ralphs – job done.

STATO
    Free Member

What 29er forks do people run? ive got a swift and some Manitou-Minutes and the fore/aft flex is quite irritating when your trying to push hard downhill (great for just general riding tho).

slowjo
    Free Member

I've got a big pair if RRs on right now and tbh the bike rides so sweetly as it is, it would be a shame to change it. Maybe the carbon on one with rebas would be the best idea.

thomthumb
    Free Member

What 29er forks do people run?

i've got the (cheapo) rst m29 80mm version. they are pretty good and certainly pretty stiff.

the suspension action is pretty basic on them (not much adjustment) although reading mtbr a service with good quality oil can really improve them. I've not fitted them yet though this year after the winter – i'm still getting on with the rigid fork which is unusual…

TooTall
    Free Member

I don't get why you'd go carbon – a light but stiffer frame. Get a Scandal – compliant enough but light and responsive – a great racing bike (Twinkly Dave seemed to do well enough with one).

Andy

On One Ti 29er with Rebas, Rigid SS swift and a Superlight here

For long rides eg Honc: ti29er
    For a local blast: Swift
    for twisty,rooty fast local stuff and trips to quantocks/exmoor: Superlight

Thought about a 29er full suss but no need IMO

epicyclo

I suspect Twinkly Dave would go well on a unicycle. Still the Scandal is nice.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

The KHS Flagstaff is sensibly priced at £1200

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Big Mama (one of my 3 29ers – FS, HT & SS Rigid) and love it. I imported my frame & forks (Maxle Reba) from the States which cost less than just buying the frame here.

Speedgoat cycles seem to be clearing out the frames now at $600 (i paid $1250 last August) which is a real bargain, even after you factor in a bit of postage and duty (mine was about £170 all in). The frame here last year was £1400 on it's own. Worth a punt at that price….

aviemoron
    Free Member

You fancy my Titus Racer X 29er that's up for sale? It's a medium. Much cheapness!

sillyoldman

Or my Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29'er with full XTR and DT 240 hub'd wheelset…

sillyoldman

Sorry Sz medium – either full bike or frame only options.

Email in profile.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kona Heihei 29er 🙂

ton

sometime paying a bit more cash works……………
    afterall that is what money is for………………..to spend.

or you could buy a on one…………. 😉 😆

Northwind

"The KHS Flagstaff is sensibly priced at £1200"

You know how everyone thinks 29ers are ponderous, long, slow to accelerate and hard to maneuvre at low speed, even though they aren't? The Flagstaff is. Felt like it was made of lead and the rear suspension didn't really seem to be doing an awful lot either. My first go on a 29er and it almost put me off for life. Shame.

LordOnOne
    Free Member

It isn’t a light bike but it definitely doesn’t feel like it’s made of lead. Considering the weight of the wheels and tyres it accelerates pretty quickly. The suspension seems to be doing plenty for a 3.5in travel bike. It doesn’t feel ponderous or hard to manoeuvre to me but installing a shorter stem and wider bar can work wonders and that’s something I’m doing. Remember it’s £1200 because you can do some serious upgrades with the saving over other full sus 29ers. I can say with certainty that if I was the right height for a Medium Flagstaff and rode one, it wouldn’t be as enjoyable as being the right height for a Large and riding one.

slowjo
    Free Member

Thanks for the bike offers guys but I am in XL territory (usually) being 6ft 4!

Clink

2nd the Big Mama option – mine should be here tomorrow. $599 plus $80 delivery. Paid a bit in customs etc but not much. No way I could have afforded a full sus 29er otherwise. Worth having a look on the web – lots of places selling them for similar. I had a look at Speedgoat – very helpful but current postage was $300ish.

Clink

Just arrived! 😀

bigsi
    Free Member

Clink – Hope your going to have that built up before midday as i'm going out then and want to see what it looks like before hand. 😉

Very nice looking frame 😀

Clink

Hope your going to have that built up before midday

I wish! Other commitments means I'll be lucky for next weekend – it's taunting me though!

bigsi
    Free Member

I bet, like having an itch you can't quite reach. 😆

Look forward to the pic's when you get it done 🙂

Andy-B
    Free Member

Clink
    Have you got the bike built up yet.Interested in buying one on special through Bikeman at the moment but only available in medium so what how tall/inside leg etc are you and do you like the fit etc.
    Andy B 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member
    Clink

5'10" medium is spot on sizing and fit

MrTall
    Free Member

Clink,

Keep an eye on the rear shock bushings. Mine has just had to be replaced after only 340 miles of dry riding which is a little disappointing but may just be my bad luck.

Clink

HHmm – perhaps bad luck – not heard of problems elsewhere – thanks for heads up though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Full Sus 29ers’ is closed to new replies.