Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Full mudguards on an Inbred?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m in the process of collecting odds and sods to build a new commuter based on an Inbred. As such I’ll be fitting FULL mudguards.

It’s just occurred to me that Inbreds have no chain stay bridge to connect to. Hmmmm. Is there some widget available to connect the lower end of a guard to the frame somehow? It must be possible…..

incognito
    Free Member

sorry pp for going slightly off topic but I wanted to ask you, did you lacquer your orange inbred after painting and did you get the decals off that chap on ebay? 😛

Andy

attach a bridge with a couple of cable ties either side init 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My tortec ‘guards came with an adapter for this

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

got a set on t’missus inbred – a bit of imagination and cable ties sorted it

robdob
    Free Member

I have done this before and there is a certain amount of bodging required. I had to space out the seat stay bridge as well to get the guard to sit close to the wheel enough.

If you don’t already have the frame why not get a Kaffenback instead. Same sizes for BB, seatpost etc and more than capable off road too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you don’t already have the frame why not get a Kaffenback instead

Becasue I already have the wheels and I want a 26in wheeled bike 🙂

did you lacquer your orange inbred after painting and did you get the decals off that chap on ebay?

The whole thing was done by Argos Cycles in Bristol. They made the decals for me and lacqurered over them. It wasn’t cheap but 3 years on it’s still in very good nick.

—————————

Anybody got any pics of their bodges? 🙂

wwaswas

Edit – read description again – ignore me…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wwaswas – I was just checking the link as you edited! 😉 No bridge at all on an Inbred… 😀

wwaswas

sorry PP – I thought it was a ‘faux’ bridge that attached to the chainstays and that you then attached the mudguard to in the normal way.

My inbred has a bridge tapped for guards (old version) – but you still have to drill a hole in the pipe at the top of the seatstays to attach the guard to there!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, this thread did have some replies once…. 🙁

Anyhoo, bumping it up to see if anyone has got pics of how they’ve bodged full guards on an Inbred (No chainstay bridge, see?)

I’ll have a rack on, so at the top I might just bolt it to the rack, but the BB area will be a bit iffy…..

Thanks in advance 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

could you make a chainstay bridge out of a bit of pipe. plastic pipe would do.

drill a vertical hole at each end and use zipties to attach it to the chain stays

jonb
    Free Member

I just used zip ties and it’s been fine for the last 4 year. Doesn’t look pretty but it’s hidden under a rack.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thom, I like your thinking, well done. 🙂

I was thinking of something bolted round the seat tube but it’s a big gap to bridge…..

shortcut

As it is for commuting don’t forget to put some 700c wheels in which will make the gaurds neater!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t have any 700c wheels! I have a set of 26in wheels, tyres and associated disc brakes, all set up. Just need a cassette to finish it off I think

But yes, with the forks off RichB’s Genesis, the front does look a bit like Mini wheels on a Range Rover! 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

I find the flat metal stays that a lot of pannier racks use cam be bent and twisted carefully to form many types of useful brackets. Used one to mount a full guard on an inbred once as well, that was with a chainstay bridge but the gap was huge.

BTW using just the rack as the other mounting point may result in the rear bit of guard flapping around a lot as you won’t have a mounting point for the entire rear half of guard. If you look at Thorn touring bikes they have a neat system where the guard stays are mounted to the rack. I think it’s a neat solution and one you may be able to replicate on your bike…

Do you have the guards yet? I have a full set (I think) of 26″ SKS guards spare at home somewhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rob, good idea. I think I might have some of those metal strips. I think I could strap one round the seat tube, then twist it 90 degrees and bend downwards to bolt the guard to.

The rear will be supported by the normal stays (Have guard/rack eyelets)
    The next thing will be the forks…. No eyelets and a disc brake…. 😕

I’ve just bought a set of SKS guards off the classifides for £10, but thanks for the offer. 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Gotta be P clips for the front, mounted halfway up the fork legs, with the guard stays shortened dramatically or bent artistically to fit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, just hoping I can find P clips big enough for the Genesis forks….

thepurist

Hey PP – how did you get on with this? First time commuting on my SS in the proper wet today and the current guard setup was somewhat lacking. Any pix?

wwaswas

Just did this – rear is fine – there’s even a small welding gas release hole by the top of the seat stays to attach the guard to.

at the front I got a 34mm P-clip off ebay (just measure the forks – they do all sizes) and used a gussed sfn replacement thing with a bolt holding abracket to attach top of guard. hope pics illusrate it.

sorry, crap phone pics.

thepurist

Thanks wwaswas – can probably bodge the fork bridge from the parts of the rubbish guard that’s on there at the mo.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bit of an update!

After far too much thinking about it and finding some nice cheap SKS ‘guards I have managed to make a decent job of it I think. I wanted something that looked neat. I can’t stand lash-ups, and I need it to be tough for touring….

Anyhow, I had a couple of spare rack mount straps and I have a tub full of plastic widgets including a fair few old light brackets of different sizes
    First, bend the rack mount strap to shape

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Then attach to bike (Yes it is filthy, it’s a commuter!)

Then fit mudguard!

It was still abit wobbly as there was no seatstay bridge to bolt to either. Soon solved that with a Bosch powerdrill!! 😈

Also used another light bracket to fashion a front fork mount as well, very effective.

Just thought it might be useful to someone if I posted this 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How come all those pics are the right way up on Flickr, then I post them here and they get turned round and made to look all grainy?
    EDIT
    Solved it.

pickle
    Free Member

just use a Crud catcher race guard that fits to the seat post, bobs your uncle

wwaswas

pickle – you still get a lot wetter than you do with ‘proper’ mudguards like wot PP has fitted.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, it had to be full mudguards. Once you’ve tried them you’ll never go back on a commuter/tourer which is what this bike is now 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Full mudguards on an Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.