Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • fuel prices?
  • gazman
    Free Member

is it time yet to make a stand that will count about the rediculous prices we are being extorted for our fuel, i went to put fuel in the car today and nearly fell over 114.9 u/l and 116.9 diesel, wtf do we have to do to get these robdogs to drop the price to a reasonable amount.

I know that if you compare it to beer and other fluid items its not a lot but, it is a neccesity that most of us need to get on with our daily lives,

sorry for the rant but its getting beyond a joke now!!!!!!

Edukator
    Free Member

Still too cheap, much too cheap as demonstrated by how quickly the North Sea reserves have been squandered.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You don't need a car. You have chosen to have one, etc etc etc.
    There thats saved TJ a job. 😉

gazman
    Free Member

maybe i should run for cover then?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Surely it's been that expensive for ages though? If it's too expensive for you, have you considered adapting your daily life so you use less fuel?

PJM1974
    Free Member

So what's the alternative? Oh that's right… Rail travel at the highest price per passenger kilometre in Europe.

So long as this government remains addicted to the revenues from fuel duty this situation won't change.

BTW, what the heck is "rediculous"?

gazman
    Free Member

maybe i should buy a hand cart like builders used to use before cars/vans. its hard enough to find work as it is without have to struggle to get all your essentials there when you get it.

gazman
    Free Member

sorry ridiculous its been a long time since i left school 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh it's cheap enough initially, summink like 18-20p a litre maybe. (I used to be able to work it out from $ prices per barrel when i owned a petrol station) but when you add duty, vat, & BP & Shells £billions profit, then it gets dear. I know someon'e gonna say 'well theyr'e oil company's, they have to show a return on their investment/exploration etc, but they do show a profit, massive at that.

RichPenny
    Free Member

So what's the alternative? Oh that's right… Rail travel at the highest price per passenger kilometre in Europe.

Personally speaking, the train is cheaper than just the petrol cost for the one distance journey I do on a semi-regular basis. Short journeys doable by bike. Large things to carry = taxi or lift from a mate.

crikey
    Free Member

All you have to do to register your protest is start boycotting petrol stations.
    As long as people use fuel and depend on it, they, whoever they are, can charge what they want. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple.
    I'll believe its too expensive when people stop driving about because they can't afford it.

I thought we hadn't had one of these threads for a while…..

attractivefish
    Free Member

[Personally speaking, the train is cheaper than just the petrol cost for the one distance journey I do on a semi-regular basis. Short journeys doable by bike. Large things to carry = taxi or lift from a mate.]

What train journey is cheaper than driving?

What about those who live to far to commute by bike every day, and its much cheaper than our wonderful rail network when its on time or even running!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Better yet start boycotting any political party who refuses to put cheap public transport at the centre of their policy.

Karinofnine

Yes! I am going to get rid of my car (in an environmentally-sensitive way) and then, because I won't be able to go on caravan holidays in the UK, I shall fly everywhere! (insert tongue-in-cheek emoticon here)

I had an email exchange with Nick Clegg on this subject; he is proposing basically to price people off the road, note: not entice by providing affordable, pleasant and convenient public transport, oh no, he's going to do it by making it even more damn expensive to drive.

I asked him how he thought I could tow the caravan behind a train (once he has priced me off the road) – he did not reply to this question.

To the OP, my friend is a kitchen fitter, he has to drive a van to carry all his tools – higher fuel prices eat directly into his wages.

RichPenny – cheaper by train? Which journey is that?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had a similar email exchange with Nick Clegg a while back too, I explained that his policy had cost him my vote.

As I said, politicians will continue to get away with it so long as we let them. I will accept higher costs of motoring provided that there is an alternative.

gazman
    Free Member

fuel costs eat into my already low wages

you have to keep prices down at the minute to get work

thats is exactly what gets my goat

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

no way is train fares cheaper!

taxis are even more expensive!

9 mile journey to town is £12…. £12 i could drive that journey 20x easy by my car.

fuel is stupidly expensive. here in Austria is 120cent / liter.

in gran canaria when i worked there last year was 65cent so all those reserves drying up… that dont hope 😉

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think its time to make a stand against excessive living, not the price of it!

I hope the high prices deter rediculas car use – like my parents driving half a mile to the shop! I hate having to use my car for commuting (broken leg + 36 mile each way) and I didn't want a job so far away – I'll be moving closer asap.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

I'll be moving closer asap.

what happens though when you like the area of where your living?

you have to move because fuel prices, thats shit if so….

crikey
    Free Member

When the motorways are full of people driving at 55 mph to save fuel, when all your inessential journeys have been cut out, perhaps you might be able to claim that fuel is too expensive.

Until then, watching the traffic queues on a Sunday, seeing the X5s, the big gas guzzling cars…… I think we've a way to go…

druidh
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    When the motorways are full of people driving at 55 mph to save fuel, when all your inessential journeys have been cut out, perhaps you might be able to claim that fuel is too expensive.

Until then, watching the traffic queues on a Sunday, seeing the X5s, the big gas guzzling cars…… I think we've a way to go…

Oh – I might have written that.

However, I'd also hate it if owning and driving a car was only affordable to the rich.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

everyone has to do their bit, but generally the people who drive x5's etc can aford these petrol prices.

check the states!! 80cent / gallon!

they get to drive their v8's /10's we got 3 cylinder crap and hybrid shit that still have to pay £1.18!!

also if they want to drive fast then why shouldnt they, doesnt change the fact that fuel is stupidly expensive. if we all did cut the stupid shop jounrys and driving at 55pmh on motorways etc. the price of fuel still wont come down!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I fill up so rarely that I've got no idea if it's expensive or not.
    This isn't helping is it? 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

crikey – +1

I'll be moving closer asap.
    what happens though when you like the area of where your living?

you have to move because fuel prices, thats shit if so….

I meant that I'll be moving my job – currently I commute because my partner works in a totally different place. I can afford it, but I don't agree with doing it all of the time on a moral and financial level! I would think it's crap if I couldn't afford to commute say 25 miles, but if everybody commuted that distance pollution etc would be aweful, so I don't think you should unless you really have too.

druidh
    Free Member

Nick_Christy – Member
    if we all did cut the stupid shop jounrys and driving at 55pmh on motorways etc. the price of fuel still wont come down!

But the cost of it would.

gazman
    Free Member

tbh another thing that gets on my t**s is we have a problem with obese kids but you get so many d***head people driving their kids to school. last week i came home from work to find the already tight area where i live jammed with cars and my driveway blocked by some numpety picking there kid up, i know that the world is different to when i was at school and you cant let them walk home on their own but nothing is stopping parents walking especially when schools have a radius of about 3/4 mile from the school.

hora
    Free Member

Final salary pensions are not going to pay for themselves are they.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hells teeth – am I too late to this thread? Its all been said already. Nowt left for me to say

🙁

Northwind

"is it time yet to make a stand that will count about the rediculous prices we are being extorted for our fuel,"

Traditionally before protesting against fuel prices you should wait until immediately after a really pro-driver budget, right in the middle of a long-term fall in petrol taxation, and then claim afterwards that the protest changed everything. That's what happened last time anyway. Fight the power! Or if not the power, the facts!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gazman – Member

tbh another thing that gets on my t**s is we have a problem with obese kids but you get so many d***head people driving their kids to school. last week i came home from work to find the already tight area where i live jammed with cars and my driveway blocked by some numpety picking there kid up, i know that the world is different to when i was at school and you cant let them walk home on their own but nothing is stopping parents walking especially when schools have a radius of about 3/4 mile from the school.

Actually kids are safer now than they were a generation ago. Its not crime that has increased especially for kids – its fear of crime by the parents following a generation of scare stories in the press.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What train journey is cheaper than driving?

Salisbury to Southend, £32 open return. I do have a railcard though, and that's obviously off peak. Petrol cost (obviously not the full cost of motoring) was about £40 last time I did it, and wasn't much cheaper when I had a small economical car.

I just like to offer my experiences, I wouldn't tell anyone that it can work for them unless I know their situation. I chickened out last time when my small car died because I thought it was impossible. I was wrong, and not having a car is paying for me to cycle in Tasmania this year :mrgreen:

9 mile journey to town is £12…. £12 i could drive that journey 20x easy by my car.

You could ride it sometimes for free 🙂 Actually it's better than free because you'll be full of endorfins when you get to work.

RichPenny
    Free Member

taxis are even more expensive!

I've used a taxi twice in 3 months. I live about 5 miles from town so it's no problem to get to work or see mates etc. I have however spent about £250 on my commuter bike, so maybe it's a false economy!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Train journey cheaper than a car – edinburgh / glasgow return. Cheapest return available is &7.20. I normally pay £12.70 IIRC. Its 90 miles so a tenners worth of petrol plus more in wear and tear etc etc

crikey
    Free Member

…and you can't realistically complain about people driving their kids to school then ask for cheaper fuel. The reason kids are driven to school is all to do with perceived road safety rather than paedophilia; the more drivers there are, the less roads are safe.

It is a bit silly to sit and moan about the cost of fuel without appreciating the cost to society; someone has to pay for all the costs of motoring, why not motorists?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stuff it. I'm gonna buy a fek off big V8 whilst I still can, and drive it flat out everywhere, just to pee everyone off!
    😉

retro83
    Free Member

Train journey cheaper than a car – edinburgh / glasgow return. Cheapest return available is &7.20. I normally pay £12.70 IIRC. Its 90 miles so a tenners worth of petrol plus more in wear and tear etc etc

maybe so but IME the vast majority of journeys are massively more expensive than driving.
    For example, Chelmsford to Bristol. Takes an hour longer in the train, and an open return is £177!! Costs about £30 there and back in the car, and I'm guaranteed a seat!

mrmo
    Free Member

currently working in Chester and living in Cheltenham, business relocation. I can get to work at an average 60mpg, so a smidge over 2 gallons, say £12 each way? I have to pay for the tax, insurance regardless of whether i use the car or not.

If i use the car i can take my bike so i can get around in the week without the car, if i go by train, who knows a complete lottery and forget taking any amount of luggage. New trains are so spacious!!!

Now i have to be at work at 9am on a monday morning, it simply isn't going to happen the trains don't run that early.

finally according to Trainline the standard off peak return price is £52.40. I suppose you could say i could book in advance, but the point of the car is convenience, so "public" transport needs to try and get somewhere near. ie turn up and go pricing, not book 6 months in advance and hope you get one of the limited availability tickets. Of course there is then the tiny detail of the train arriving, never guaranteed.

I would like to point out i only learnt to drive three years ago because i was sick and tired of cancelled trains and the costs simply didn't work, and if two of you are travelling a car does not cost twice as much.

£1000 sums it up.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

train journey gatwick to milton keynes £24, i did there and back for that same price.
    return jouney for trains is like 5p more anyway.

some people like myself would never get up out of bed an extra 40 mins before work to ride 10 miles… then all sweaty then start work. not exactly hygienic due to not having showers etc….

backhander
    Free Member

The idea that expensive fuel will encourage us not to drive so much is plain stupid IMHO. I don't drive any more than i need to, expensive fuel means less money in my pocket not less driving.
    I do catch the train to cardiff pretty much every day though, the train is cheaper due to the toll but only just, however I drive to and from the station. I used to ride my bike (and loved it) but the guards refused to let me put it on the train one time too many. If you know bristol, you'll know that you cannot lock it up at the stn!

mudshark
    Free Member

If we want reduced prices how would that happen? Reduce tax? We need as much as we can get because of the debt….or just ask the oil companies nicely?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘fuel prices?’ is closed to new replies.