Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Front Tyre Mud Guard !
  • santacrews
    Free Member

I,m in need of a front Mud Guard, Something sturdy and something not fabricated from a 4 Pint bottle of cow Juice, 🙄

I,ve just had a few days really sick ! Stomach ache cramps squits !
    The day prior to my bout of bombay trots i did a ride where by i may have had a bit of shhep sh!t flick up and god knows why i ended up with it in my mouth ! not just once but about 3 times on various different sections !

And to add to the dilema i passed along a bridleway that had untold ammounts of fresh dollops of cow pat on and a pile of manure in the corner with the brown liquid seeping out !

I could explain the taste 😕 BARF !

So ive thought about front guard, i,m running a MAXXIS Minion 42a up front & its like chewing gum !
    It flicks up all sorts.

Ive been on CRC and found a THE front guard which looks a bit MX stylie !

It looks more than up to the job.

Question is ! Has anybody got one and are they any good ?

docrobster
    Free Member

this
    and
    this
    job’s a gud un

Shackleton

I use the mucknutz bender fender 2.0 backed up with a down tube mounted crud catcher when needed. Works phenomenally well at stopping my 42a 2.35 minion from feeding me! It certainly works better than the RRP NeoGuard neoprene fork crown brace spanning one I had last winter as it stops more and doesn’t dump the crud on your fork seals.

tomhughes46

If you travel your bike with the front wheel removed, I’d get an SKS shockblade or similar as the removal makes it fit in the car much better.

The THE looks similar to my Planet X, and is a pain in the arse for this reason.

bigyinn
    Free Member

For some reason I keep thinking “codpiece” when i see these!

flatfish
    Free Member

got a THE version and it does the same job as the crud catcher.
    works fine for me.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I used the SKS Shockblade for the first time at the weekend and have nothing but praise for it. Did the job perfectly and cost a bit less than THE etc

jordie
    Free Member

docrobster +1
    this is the best way of beating mud

alexxx
    Free Member

I just bought a 30cm x 30cm piece of neoprene off ebay, thats 2 rapid racer style things for £5… thats more like it

1nten5e
    Free Member

I’ve used a THE for years, I used them when I was racing DH and I still use one on the trail bike if it’s a really shitty day. I’d recommend them without hesitation, I’d also recommend using a headlock with a 6mm tapped hole in the bottom to make installing and removing your THE easier

santacrews
    Free Member

1nten5e,

Thats what i wanted to hear

I have tapered forks with a 1.5 gaping hole in the bottom, do they come with relevant fittings ?

br
    Free Member

I use a Crud Front Fender, along with a Crud Catcher – its great and you can actually ride without glasses if you need to.

1nten5e
    Free Member

santacrews, not sure about that, I have an old ‘ed-lock’ thats all alloy, got someone to turn a new bottom part for me, cos I’ve just gone tapered too

No worries if you know someone with a lathe….but probably would only cost a few quid at an engineering shop

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“do they come with relevant fittings?”

Yes but you will best put something grippy (even just masking tape)round the plastic expander so it gets a good grip.

Mine is two years old now and has a slight looseness in the QR fitting but nothing to worry about. If it gets bad I’ll just silicon it in as I don’t need the QR.

raversknee
    Free Member

has anyone tried the Topeak defender M1? looks similar to the Shockblade but has flexible edges which might make it resist impacts, not that I ever crash… 😉

jamesb
    Free Member

old inner tube + 4 x zipties….strap tube from fork crown to stanchion brace, stops a lot of front wheel chuck off coming back in yer face

nuke

Another vote for the SKS Shockblade…works very well and would buy another without hesitation

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the other options, but the Fast Fender works really well.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a muckynutz thing, seems to rub on my stantions? I presume I’ve fitted it wrong?????

willej

+1 for the Crud Catcher and Fast Fender combo.
    I was amazed how much difference the Fast Fender made this weekend, after using only a Crud Catcher for the last 17 years. It’s ugly but it works.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

crud catcher and neo guard here. top job. i might think about a muckynutz instead of the neogaurd if i were buying again.

Frankers
    Free Member

Used both SKS Shockboard and Topeak, prefer SKS…. Topeak was ok but I snapped the front of the metal bracket

ir_bandito
    Free Member

THE are the way to go, ideally bolted into a star-fangled nut in the bottom of your steerer tube. Bit of a faff to remove, but likewise, don’t fall off very easily (unlike the SKS and Topeak)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Front Tyre Mud Guard !’ is closed to new replies.