Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • front mounted kids bike seats – your experiences and recommendations please
  • piemann
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a forward mounted kiddie seat for pie jnr. These are the two I’m looking at…

Safe-t-seat
    Weeride

If anyone has experience of using these, please let me know how stable they are and if you have suffered any issues.

Thanks

pie

perthmtb
    Free Member

Used the Weeride with my daughter when she was 2/3 years old. It’s great having them infront of you rather than behind (or even further away in a trailer)as you get to talk and point out things of interest, and the table on the Weeride allows them to slump forwards and have a sleep if they get bored. I’d say the fitting is quite bike specific, so try it on your bike before you buy, and even with a large frame (25″ hybrid) I still had to ride with my knees out a bit and would occasionally get butted in the chin by the back of my daughter’s helmet. Obviously does effect the balance quite a bit as centre of gravity is high, but this is offset by the better weight distribution forwards compared to a rear carrier. Only had one tumble with her in there and it proved very safe, but do give them a helmet. A child will also outgrow a weeride quicker than a rear carrier because it is more limited in the size it can take, but by then they are ready to progress to a tagalong/trailerbike.

the-muffin-man

I used to have one like the weeride.

The only issue I found was that I had to run my saddle lower than normal. This was because you can’t slide forward off the saddle when you stop so you need to be able to reach the ground with your feet when seated. This does mean a bit of comedy knees-out riding, but you soon get used to it!

piemann
    Free Member

Thanks perth.

How much headtube space do you think is needed? Was hoping to fit it to my Cotic Soul, but it’s not got a lot headtube sticking out.

VanHalen

i have a weeride and the nipper loves the stanmer singletrack on it.

wont fit the 1.5 headset on the xc bike so the nipper gets a comfey ride on the fs.

headtube wise mine sits on the upstand off the top tube and the external top cup of the headset. i run an inverted 55MM stem with a 5mm spacer between headset and stem (oldschool Kore stem that looks kinda like a bmx stem) and its fine.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Weerides are Ace!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Doesn’t need much head tube space as I remember, the bracket is quite shallow, but as others have said it won’t fit the oversize head tubes on some bikes. You’ll need to try before you buy methinks….

carlosg
    Free Member

we had a Weeride when our odlest son was little , I’d say once they’re over 3 1/2 a childs weight would make for some very interesting riding.

Did the ‘Camel Trail’ in Cornwall (20 miles each way) without problem although I had to tie carlos jnr on with a spare top when he fell asleep.

You can fit them to bikes with oversize headsets by buying a couple of longer bolts , we ran it on both bikes in the pic.

I just wish we hadn’t sold it as we’ll have to buy another in a year or so when our new addition is a bit older.The Weeride company are extremely helpful if you have any problems , they even offered to extend a new warranty to the buyer when we sold it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘front mounted kids bike seats – your experiences and recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.