Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Front door lock, which one?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, I know some people who believe that youtube doesn’t exist will think this controversial, but given that there are tutorials for picking/bumping/snapping virtually every kind of euro-lock on the market, I would like to ask which is the best lock available if you would like to avoid being laid open to every crack addict that fancies having a go at raiding your home?
    Obviously some won’t have the honed skills of the crack addicts on youtube, but some might have half a clue…

Cheers in advance.

project
    Free Member

British standard mortice sash lock, era, or yale or union, long screws, and a set of handles.
    also fit a dead lock further down the door for extra security.

A steel reinforcing bar down the inside of the frame also helps.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whatever your insurance company recommends – don’t fit something they recommend and, no matter how good it may be, they will wriggle out of any claim.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank’s, been looking at ABS & Cisa, cisa is about 30% cheaper & seems better specced, it looks like modern euro-locks are quite a target nowadays 🙁

Cheers.

flatfish
    Free Member

I have a set of “bump key’s” and they’re the most overrated things I’ve found.
    I bought a set from my locksmithing supplier and was so dissapointed.
    The shite they spout about bumping any euro/rim cylinder lock is guff, trust me. That’s not to say that you don’t need a descent bs mortice deadlock to back your nightlatch up.
    There are plenty easier wasy to open doors than “bumping” a lock.
    As you may have guessed, I’m a locksmith.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Cisa are pretty decent

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Whatever your insurance company recommends – don’t fit something they recommend and, no matter how good it may be, they will wriggle out of any claim.

M-F, conflicting advice?

PS, thanks to the others, especially FF who gives a great insight, cheers.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

He means if it’s not recommended by them

scaredypants

nah, just poor style:

(fit) Whatever your insurance company recommends – (if you) don’t fit something they recommend (then), no matter how good it may be, they will wriggle out of any claim.

Taff
    Free Member

Check Secured by Design website – will give you a good list of security approved locks.

project
    Free Member

Also ensure the door construction is strong seen a few doors easily defeated by a good kick,in the right place.

Alos check the frame for adequate fixings.

Jason
    Free Member

I replaced our euro locks with CISA ones, when I looked into it they seemed the best security for the money. I did spend a bit of time investigating as we had just been broken into (luckily only the two cars taken…) and I was slightly paranoid about security.

The scary thing is I replaced one of the euro locks on a set of sliding doors in the house. I didn’t have the key for it so had to break it out – worrying easy to open when you know how.

edhornby

FWIW We’ve been broken into recently and relying on locks alone isn’t enough, even high quality locks can be broken out of a door by the use of screwdrivers, so an alarm and active neighbours are also required….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all, ordered a couple of Cisa S types.

Cheers.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes I meant if you don’t fit a recommended lock – I can see how English my confusing was though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Front door lock, which one?’ is closed to new replies.