Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Friston Forest
  • continuity
    Free Member

Went up there (took some of the family also, watching my ten year old nephew on his first singletrack dropin was hillarious!) yesterday. Lovely weather, save the fire roads the trails were barely greasy.

I found the red arrows, ignored them and went further up and found what is either the dh track or the “new man-made singletrack” – a few berms, winding its way down from right at the top of the wooded area closes to cuckmere haven. Intersects the track twice, a few jumps and switchbacks and a few dodgy tranny’s.

Following the marked “red” trail didn’t seem to have any actual singletrack at all.

Could someone point me in the right direction? I’m a new local and am sick of the long xc rides of the south downs.

Blacksmith
    Free Member

Welcome to the area. Newish too (well 8 months now).

From the top (linking to the jevington BW), you should have 2 tracks splitting within 300yd of the trail entrance. The one going to the right should spit again 1/3rd down and rejoining the 1st trail (the one running parallel to Wannock rd) by the pump track.

Have you ventured to Stanmer/Falmer yet?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

If your local have a look at this group

Cycle Seahaven

worth joining as they do regular rides in Friston, as well as night rides, and on the Downs catering for all abilities, not been out with them for ages as I’ve got other things on at the mo but hope to be back out with them this June, and get yourself to the bike shop in Seaford, Mr Cycles, to join and get some advice, in Friston there’s the not so secret ‘secret trail’, the new ‘fairey trail’ and what they call ‘jamies back passage’ or the bombhole trail, as well as the marked routes, I think the red route is quite good but you have to stick to it as it goes from one side of the forest to the other so has some more interesting bits.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Bedgebury Forest Cycle Club are having an outride there next sunday if that’s of interest?

Mail me if interested.

Boris

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Check out Sussex muddy@rse club as they do regular night rides around Friston, loads of trails buried inside, some more secret than others.

Here

Forum

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Im a ride leader for cycle seahaven club,know the forest real well (well enough).
    Some good suff in there, the short DH sections which run off of the A259 to bomb crator runs and other trails as mentioned above.
    Club ride usually every Fri at 7pm for mixed ability covering some of the trails but not all.
    10% discount at Mr Cycles Seaford for members.
    Rides sometimes from Seaford to Lewes or Stanmer. Some rides from Lewes xc on SDW to Stanmer, dedicated rides around Stanmer, road rides too but thats dark side stuff so not going there lol

Should keep you going…..

continuity
    Free Member

Hey guys, thanks for the warm messages. I think I found the short dh sections off the a259 – those are the ones that, passing the green gate on your left, you continue up the fire-road for 15mins and then turn left onto a right-hand berm?

I’ll check out the local clubs =]

And I’ve popped into stanmer once, only found one trail and it was so greasy and off-camber it was a waste of time. I ride the sdw on my trance a lot to get the dog out – nearly always blipping from lewes to ditchling beacon, I should drop into stanmer half way and them rock back.

birdage

Also Seaford Bike Festival on the 10th June!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Good loop from Lewes on Ditchling, drop down to Stanmer, ride the trails in the park, cross the A27 up on to hills above, over to Kingston, drop down to back of Lewes.
    Crackin fun

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Friston eve ride tomorrowv at 7pm if anyone fancies

continuity
    Free Member

Hardly gorgeous weather for it, eh.

Painey
    Free Member

I always seem to manage to get lost in Friston forest but have stumbled upon some decent stuff a few times, mostly what’s already been mentioned. Tend to ride more around Stanmer Park though so know that pretty well. Keep finding new bits and pieces around there too and have to say I rather like it, I’d recommend just having a look around and see what you find. It’s a bit tight in places and I’ve been knocked out on trees and also broken a bone in my shoulder from a glancing blow off a tree trunk.

If I were going from there back towards Lewes I’d travel up the road in Falmer (don’t know it’s name) that takes you north where you can pick up a fairly benign bridleway that takes you to the top of blackcap hill. That’s my favourite descent on the South Downs. Very rarely see any other cyclists on it though but you can almost hit 50mph whilst catching some serious air. Best done when bone dry though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Friston Forest’ is closed to new replies.