Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Friendly fire at the Olymics?
  • stavromuller
    Free Member

Just nearly p*issed my pants at the news that Tornados are going to be on call to assist with security at the olympics. Wonder what the effects of friendly fire will have on track and field?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe they’re worried about an errant javelin or pole-vaulter or something?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well the clay pigeon shooting has been getting a bit tame of late.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There will be gangs roaming around in sportswear carrying section 5 firearms. They’ll need those tornados.

TooTall
    Free Member

I thought it was Typhoon, but there you go.

thepurist

I knew they’d got Elbow & Underworld, but the Friendly Fires too??

mattbee

Some of the scenarios that have been trained for/rehearsed over the last year are mind boggling. Friend of mine trains civvies in dealing with ‘non civilian type injuries’ and he’s been rather busy.

jon1973
    Free Member

London 2012 opening ceremony

binners

Apparently we need a large warship in the Thames too. Perhaps the Tories are planning on using the Olympics as a cover for a ‘final solution’ To finally drive the poor out of London once and for all. Shock and Awe in Bethnal Green anyone?

freeagent
    Free Member

The Warship in the Thames will probably be a Helicopter carrier – I’m guessing HMS Ocean..

wisepranker
    Free Member

I did some training for working the Olympics recently.
    The panic/concern of the people in charge over terrorist threats is incredible!

I honestly expect that it’s all been blown out of proportion yet again and that nothing of any interest will happen.

higgo
    Free Member

I honestly expect that it’s all been blown out of proportion yet again and that nothing of any interest will happen.

Thanks.

mattbee

Still, rather over the top than unprepared, eh?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Still, rather over the top than unprepared, eh?

Not really.

mcboo
    Free Member

5thElefant prefers unprepared.

Cynicism unbound this morning on STW.

xcgb
    Free Member

Sure you aren’t thinking of one of these bad boys?

Tornado

justatheory
    Free Member

A war ship and fighter jets! I’m not sure what kind of touble they are anticiapting.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

A war ship and fighter jets! I’m not sure what kind of touble they are anticiapting.

]

hijacked aircraft perhaps? ( a la 9/11…)

i’m with matbee – seems a bit over the top now, but what would the dailywail (and probably the STW massiv) be saying if we were caught with our pants round our ankles…

CaptJon
    Free Member

It sounds like a good idea. If Jessica Ennis is trailing the 800m, needing to win it to clinch the gold, a Brimstone or 27mm canon could come in handy.

The warship would be there for it’s radar capability, right?

justatheory
    Free Member

hijacked aircraft perhaps? ( a la 9/11…)

i’m with matbee – seems a bit over the top now, but what would the dailywail (and probably the STW massiv) be saying if we were caught with our pants round our ankles…

Aye, I suppose you’re right. Although I’d hope after 9/11 that they’d be prepared for that scenario outside of the olympics too.

binners

A war ship and fighter jets! I’m not sure what kind of trouble they are anticipating.

Perhaps we’ll be at war with France by then? Cockerneys will be able to go misty-eyed with nostalgia – our finest hour and all that – as they watch two different lots of Typhoons having dogfights over the capital

justatheory
    Free Member

Perhaps we’ll be at war with France by then? Cockerneys will be able to go misty-eyed with nostalgia – our finest hour and all that – as they watch two different lots of Typhoons having dogfights over the capital

Don’t say that! I’m planning a trip to Morzine in summer.

TooTall
    Free Member

For all those ‘over the top’ types. Over the top compared to what? You’ve looked at global event security before? Seems reasonable to me.

binners

I believe ski conditions are expected to be good in Aviemore 😉

GrahamS

Isn’t it still something like half the security personnel that the Chinese had at Beijing?

trambler

Nice one Too Tall, most people prefer the bucket of sand approach, then are more than willing to hurl mud when it all goes wrong.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

For all those ‘over the top’ types. Over the top compared to what? You’ve looked at global event security before? Seems reasonable to me.

+1

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The more militarised the olympics become the more the unpleasant resonances with Berlin 1936…

TooTall
    Free Member

I don’t believe the Olympics are militarised. I believe some of the security is. Which is completely normal.

Or did I give a rational response to a really stupid troll?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t fly if I can help it now. Because of the security. I’d happily take my chances with the terrorists.

Same with this. A few extra police is plenty. Air superiority and helicopter gunships? They’ve won.

TooTall
    Free Member

Air superiority and helicopter gunships? They’ve won.

As I said earlier – are you aware of what is normal for globally important event security? So, perhaps you are knee-jerking to something that you have no context in which to place this news?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’ll be a useful pretext to get the sheeple acclimatised to their policed future, the royal 60th aniiversary and the olympics in one year. The UK will be a different and less free nation by 2013…

5thElefant
    Free Member

It may well be normal but I bet it wasn’t always. Any idea what security was like at the last London Olympics? I guess it would have been Munich that it started to change and I bet it’s been ramped up year on year.

binners

Helicopter gunships? Fighter jets? FFS! Thousands of troops on the streets? I think if you regard all this as necessary, you probably need some counselling for your paranoia.

Its patent nonsense! And a grotesque over-reaction to any potential threat.

What the worst case scenario? 9/11? Get a ****ing grip! A bomb on the tube maybe? WTF is a squadron of Typhoons going to do about that exactly?

Ridiculous!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seems sensibe to me.

rossi46
    Free Member

Living fairly local to the Olympics and especially to the events that will take place at Woolwich im more concerned about total gridlock. Traffic that is- even on an average day it’s bumper to bumper. If someone breaks down on Shooters Hill then its chaos in the surrounding area. And dont even talk to me about the public transport cattletruck!
    Cant see the athletes and extra visitors being very impressed with that.

The extra security is for the local scrotes- we dont want a repeat of what happened in the summer do we? 😉
    A couple of Typhoons and some helicopter gunships will protect Sports Direct pretty well dont you think 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And don’t forget the ‘Death Star’ police camp/internemnt centre in Epping Forest…

TooTall
    Free Member

Bless you, binners. A subject you know nothing of and scant detail in the papers has you frothing and spouting complete guff. May you not suffer indigestion as your outrage rises and that bile begins to burn.

Look – nothing new:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/mar/13/spain.greece

binners

In all honesty, I couldn’t give a flying one what happens in London at any time. Olympics or not. It just seems almost comically daft to me.

If you were a nasty terrorist who hated Britain, and you wnated to kill shed-loads of people, why wait for the Olympics? Why not just do it tomorrow? Or do you need the manufactured kudos of a major sporting event?

Yeah… you’re right. Any other time and it probably wouldn’t make the news 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Friendly fire at the Olymics?’ is closed to new replies.