Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Friday……………Fishday………….?
  • ton

who is having the culinary delight that is boiled in oil for lunch? 😀

Moses

I might open a tin of sardines, but not boiled in oil

nbt

Maybe for tea, cheese & pickle sarnies for lunch 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m going to send a minion to the chippy in a bit for a butty 😉

ton

i can smell the vinegar and bit’s already……….nom nom nom 😉

TimP
    Free Member

I wasn’t but I might now!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyone in the East London area; The Grapes pub on Narrow St, Limehouse does a first-class fish n chips for only about £8 or something silly. Proper mushy peas too. Even approved by Northerners and the French. 😯

glenh
    Free Member

ton

good fish a chips in london………..get the **** outa here…… 😉

nbt

ton – Member

good fish a chips in london………..get the **** outa here……

No, to be fair they can do good fish and chips. Not cheap, mind, at £8, my local chippy is about £4.50. The problem is getting mushy peas. Or Gravy, for going with pies. Or Steak and Kidney Pudding…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ton; it’s lovely that you Northern folk enjoy fish’n’chips, but you must understand, that it’s actually a London invention. No, I’m sorry, it is. First fish’n’chip shop was opened in London. The fried fish thing came over from Holland with Jewish immigrants to the East End.

And there’s quite a few decent fish’n’chip places here. Not that you’d know, of course, as you don’t live here like what I do…. 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

8quid?!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, I dare say you can get some scabby greasy mess from some dive wherever for £1.99, but the Grapes is a lovely proper old riverside pub, does some good beers and is a really nice place to sit and eat and have a pint. So, £8 is actually, especially for the area, amazingly good value. If you’d had fish’n’chips there, you’d agree.

We do all the pie and mash and all that too, but we have loads of tasty foreign food as well. “In fact, we’re positively spoilt for choice down here, which is why it’s common to see groups of Northern people come down for a bit of culture.

yunki
    Free Member

balls… and there was me thinking I’m all in order for judgement day tomorrow..

I’ve let meself down a couple times on the friday fish thing though..

philconsequence
    Free Member

foreign food

Northern people

racist.

seaurchin
    Free Member

Just had a very mediocre plate of chish and fips in the Birdseye canteen. They only serve their own stuff obviously. Was going to go for a healthy option, but was overcome by hunger pangs at the last minute. Wasn’t worth the calories – now I need to find a way to burn them off….. hang on, I have an idea….!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

racist

And?

nbt

It might be a london invention (or rather an invention by a Dutch Jew who happened to be living in London), but that hasn’t stopped northerners taking it and improving it with the addition of Mushy Peas. Go on, prove me wrong 😉

(and I have lived in That London so I know whereof I speak. Have you ever lived Up North?)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why would I want to do that for God’s sake??? 😯

I have been to Bradford however. More than once. It is one most beautiful place in World.

Mushy Peas is indeed a worthy accompaniment to a nice plate of fish’n’chips, I must say. No denying that at all. A marriage of North and Sarf which is quitessentially English.

chvck
    Free Member

Mushy peas are wrong. That is all. If you must have an accompaniment it should be chilli sauce…that applies to everything.

trail_rat
    Free Member

8 quid isnt bad for propper fish and chips

its 6 quid for a take away up here – BUT the fish is fresh – i always take bad when im in aviemore or in england never got a good fish supper away from the coast !

philconsequence
    Free Member

Mushy peas are wrong. That is all. If you must have an accompaniment it should be chilli sauce…that applies to everything

+1

ton

just eaten fish, chips and mushy pea’s.
    batter was too thick, chips were too scrappy, peas were ace.
    wish i had bought a salad instead………….. 😉

nbt

Actually, 8 quid for a sit down meal in a pub is ok

Chilli sauce though? Really? 😯 🙄

I must admit that of late, I’ve taken to have fish and chips with baked beans. Nice change.

Harry_the_Spider

Mackerel and chips from Pels take away on the sea front in St.Ives. Nomm nomm nomm, but not worth a 730 mile round trip.

chvck
    Free Member

Chilli sauce though? Really?

Yes, always. We’re big fans of it in this house :D. Got more varieties of chilli sauce than other sauces combined!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Mushy peas are wrong. That is all. If you must have an accompaniment it should be chilli sauce

Chilli Sauce?

With fish’n’chips??? 😯

BLASPHEMER! BEGONE FROM THIS PLACE!

I shall henceforth stand shoulder to shoulder with my Northern Brethren, united by our Common Cause to rid the World of such philistinic abomination.

I am truly saddened of the cultural depths to which Humanity can sink. 🙁

dustytrails

Chvck…….Mushy peas wrong?????Oh no they’re soooo right with fish n chips – I agree on chilli sauce but not on f n c.
    Tell ya what is good—–fresh tuna with chilli & ginger Mmmmmmmmmmm

marsdenman
    Free Member

for lunch I am mostly getting outside of a ham salad sandwich
    for tea I shall be indulging in fish, chips, mushy peas with lashings of S+V – all served hot and fresh afgter the obligatory Friday evening ‘hour on the pub on the way home’

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve had fish n chips in that pub on Elf’s recommendation a couple of years back. Very nice it was too, and the Addlestones cider.

Kev

trailmonkey

So, £8 is actually, especially for the area, amazingly good value

See its bourgeois attitudes like that, that have enabled the gentrification of working class neighbourhoods and dislocated us from our own heritage.

😕

nbt

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_OkJaZFd4[/video]

TheFlyingOx

Extra specially disappointed. Friday is ALWAYS fish and chips day offshore. What choice did I get today? Black pudding, or liver and onions.

This “chef” risks a mutiny.

sambob
    Free Member

Northern fish+chips ftw. Ever been to frydays in Whaley nbt? IMO, best in the area.

nbt

Not done Frydays, mightg have to try that at some point. Decent Fish n chips are hard to come by in Stockport, Goyt chippy near us does nice fish but the new one down in Marple Bridge does fab chips.

We had Haggis on wednesday. Mmmmmmm, haggis *ROCKS*

Drac

£8 for Fish and Chips, really?

nbt

£8 for Fish and Chips, really?

In a pub, though. £9 or £10 in the pubs round here.

carbon337
    Free Member

Drac knows the best chippies…. I think we pay about 4.00 medium cod and chips round here

Drac

Yup Carbon it takes some beating and the portions are massive. Kids no longer get swimming lessons down there now so not had any for awhile, I can feel CX coming on and then there’s the ice cream parlour around the corner for pud.

In a pub, though. £9 or £10 in the pubs round here.

Still crazy though pub or not, I was paying less than £5 for pub meals last weekend and they were pretty damn good.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I’ve just been for Quesadillas and a Negra Modelo. Nommms

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Friday……………Fishday………….?’ is closed to new replies.