Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fri thread- Flashmob Haka
  • hora
    Free Member

Riksbar

Yeah, just a jumped up Macarena 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

They all seemed to know the words though.. is that language a widely spoken one then? Do Maoris understand it all without having to learn it?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

South Shields on a Friday night?

Harry_the_Spider

The cop! 😀 Good lad!

hels
    Free Member

Molgrips mate, get a grip !

We all learn the words to the Kamate Haka in school, and a few other traditional songs. I could sing it right now and I haven’t lived in EnZed for 16 years.

Maori people learn their language the same way you learned to speak English, via their parents, or taught in school if they choose. Some Kiwis who don’t identify as Maori also learn the language. It’s not genetic or anything.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    They all seemed to know the words though.. is that language a widely spoken one then? Do Maoris understand it all without having to learn it?

In the same way you didn’t have to learn English?

hora
    Free Member

**** love the Haka :mrgreen:

hels
    Free Member

Again, for the record, New Zealand is officially bi-lingual, all formal documents are printed in both languages. My passport for example.

From memory I think about 20% of Kiwis identify as Maori, and about the same have some knowledge of the language. There is a Maori TV station, who broadcast big Rugby games with Maori commentary, which is pretty cool I reckon.

hels
    Free Member

I’ve started so I will finish…

It’s not The Haka, the ABs perform, it’s A Haka. The Kamate Haka. There are loads of Hakas.

The Kamate is a fine one, written by Te Rauparaha, a big famous chief from my part of the world, in fact he used to pull his waka up at the pub along the road from my school at the turn of the century. They still had a stool for him.

Any anyway during the tournament the ABs didn’t perform the Kamate haka (shame) but a new one written especially I think. The local tribe tried to claim royalties a few years ago, but didn’t get very far with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips mate, get a grip !

Easy there, I think you mis-understood my post.

The question was really about how widespread is the Maori language amongst the Maoris.

I meant did they learn that haka (I know there are many) off by heart as a foreign chant, the way that many Welsh people learn Y Hen Wlad fy Nhadau without understanding it?

Apologies for mistaking it for the rugby one, it looked the same to me.

Don’t forget I also live in a bilingual country.

Northwind

That’s pretty awesome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fri thread- Flashmob Haka’ is closed to new replies.