Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Freeview HD – Anyone got it?
  • gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Saw it advertised last night.

The HD on sky seems pretty good, just wondered if it is the same on freeview?

timmys

I'm tempted but going to wait a couple of months till there is a HD Freeview DVR available. No way I could go back to the distant past of actually to having to make sure I am around to watch a programme at the particular time it's broadcast.

wwaswas

timmys – they're available now…

timmys

wwaswas – Member
    timmys – they're available now…

Really? I'd loved to be proved wrong but I thought it was only Freesat not Freeview ones at the mo.

wwaswas
    uplink
    Free Member

Pretty sure that doesn't record Freeview HD

It plays back HD DVDs though

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Thats what i was thinking.

For the missus to be able to record a programme without me having to talk her through it everytime,

timmys

wwaswas – Member
    first google result for HD Freeview DVR

It certain is the first google result, but it certainly ain't a Freeview HD DVR.

glenh
    Free Member

Play TV for the Sony PS3 now supports freeview HD, and it works as a PVR, and only costs £40! 😀

Not tried out the HD though, since there won't be any in my area untill the switch off the analogue signal next year.

EDIT: actually it may not work. It has support for HD over DVB-T (which is what British broadcasts are on currently), but apparently we will be switching to DVB-T2 for HD….

wwaswas

fair enough.

Hareydan
    Free Member

I was chatting to a mate who works in Richer Sounds over the weekend as I'm interested in getting a freeview HD recorder, he wasn't aware of any currently on the market but said Sagem are working on one, likely to be around £250 and out in the next few months.

Edit: IIRC he also said freeview HD was likely to be a better quality than freesat HD

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn't take Freeview HD over Freesat HD unless I had no choice

To me – they haven't got enough bandwidth to be able to expand as they plan to

glenh
    Free Member

That's why they are switching to DVB-T2 I think, as it uses less bandwidth.

Freesat doesn't have enough bandwidth either, hence the reason it's actually broadcast as a lower resolution than Freeview.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW as I am sure you know 🙂 Freeview is not available in the majority of the UK at present? Check your post code online:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/HD

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm 'experimenting' with a USB thingy for TV on my computer. Is HD possible with such a device? Or would I require a new thingy?

I've got to have a proper aerial installed etc before I even consider any proper TV system.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

apparently yes, if its ones of the cheaper ones which use a software decoder instead of a hardware decoder.

However you need software which can decode the the new fan galled DVB-T2 and computer capable of doing this at a reasonable speed.

SammyC
    Free Member

A new thingy would be required.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We have a Sony Bravia HD ready for when it arrives. Not yet here in Leeds/bradford.
    Can't wait, though I doubt it'll arrive in time for the world cup.
    We got it beacause that is what's coming rather than what's avalible now. Ours also does Internet TV for when they get that working. Should be good when it arrives, IplayerHD through the TV via HDMI is excelent.

jim
    Free Member

Play TV for the Sony PS3 now supports freeview HD, and it works as a PVR, and only costs £40!

No it doesn't, as Freeview HD requires new tuner hardware.

I'm 'experimenting' with a USB thingy for TV on my computer. Is HD possible with such a device? Or would I require a new thingy?

No thingies suitable for Freeview HD are currently available, Hauppauge are seemingly planning to bring one out by the end of the summer.

richcc
    Free Member

I'm interested in the humax freeview HD pvr when it comes out. Father in law has humax foxsat pvr and works really well

scu98rkr
    Free Member

No thingies suitable for Freeview HD are currently available, Hauppauge are seemingly planning to bring one out by the end of the summer.

This incorrect as alot of thingies use software decoding. An old thingy can still pick up the signal you just need the correct software to decode the signal.

jim
    Free Member

This incorrect as alot of thingies use software decoding. An old thingy can still pick up the signal you just need the correct software to decode the signal.

Sorry, it is correct. Freeview HD uses DVB-T2, which requires specific hardware to receive it. If you don't believe me then try:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/23/freeview_hd_questions_answered/

Elsewhere in the world terrestrial HD has been implemented using H.264 on the existing DVB-T standard, which is indeed just a matter of having the necessary decoder.

aracer
    Free Member

I can't be bothered doing the googling, but are you totally sure about that, Jim? When I was recently looking for something to work in Norway (where they use H.264 on DVB-T) I'm fairly sure I found dongles claiming to do DVB-T2.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

There is a PVR that does freeview HD that has just been released. Check out a company called 3view. Reasonable price and some nice features including taking the HD version of a programme in preference to the SD version. Quite tempted myself…. 500GB hard disk as well, although they do not provide a supported way to copy recorded content off the device.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Freeview HD – Anyone got it?’ is closed to new replies.