Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Freeride Morocco???????
  • slowburn
    Free Member

I am a strong technical cross country rider and I’ve been wanting to take some time out and explore the Atlas Mountains via mountain bike. So I found a company called Freeride Morocco but I am having trouble vetting them. I can’t find any reviews on line about them, I can’t find anyone who has even heard of them and now that they want full payment up front, in advance I’m nervous to send it. So I’m asking if anyone has heard of this touring company and if they are legit? They also operate Freeride Spain.

Sincerely, Slowburn

Swayndo
    Free Member

I went to Morocco with Ciclo a few weeks back and can 100% recommend the trip. There was lots of gravity assist in Land Cruisers to start every ride and typically we rode from high plateau down to plains over valleys each day. It was truly epic and memorable and an absolute steal at the price. Here’s the vid that my buddy Bri 72 did … it gives a flavour of what it’s like, but as with all videos it flattens and smoothens things out a bit.

There’s a trip again in October I believe. Perfect bike is probably a mid travel FS with as much rubber as you can fit in the frame and fork. most popular choices were Orange Bloods and 5s with 160 forks. I was on a T129s and felt underbiked until I took 30PSI out of the shocks. Bedmaker was on his fat bike 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Simon who runs Freeride Morocco is legit, yeah. He’s also responsible for Freeride Spain which ran for, what about ten years, but is back in the UK. I’ve been out to Spain with them numerous times – search for Freeride Spain here and elsewhere and you’ll find plenty of reviews – and also out to Morocco a couple of years back.

The Morocco trip was ace, though we were a little unlucky with the weather and got snowed on on the first day. The riding is great, quite loose, steep and technical, a bit like southern Spain, but redder in colour. The trip itself is a point to point thing with back-up. You stay in various gites in the mountains which are pretty basic, but atmospheric and there’s a back-up team with a cook and kitchen who sort the food at the stops and meet you for lunch every day.

I’d happily use them again. It’s as much a cultural experience – feels quite wild and exotic, reminded me oddly of Nepal – as a riding one. Full suspension’s probably not a bad idea. I managed fine most of the time on my Ragley but felt a little beaten up by the end of it compared to the guys on sussers. Some of that, I think, was mental fatigue just from having to pick lines a little more carefully.

I thought it was a good value trip. Great riding. The ground crew were ace, very friendly, helpful and cheerful and Simon who runs the show is entertaining, slightly crazed and good company as well as being a very good rider.

I don’t know if that helps, but it might reassure you a little anyway.

d45yth
    Free Member

Go! STW Link 😀

woody2000

Swayndo – you must have been there at the same time as my mate Bruce ( whiney Southerner on a purple 5 😉 ). He said there was a guy on a fat bike, I didn’t believe him 🙂

He raved about it, said it was a good trip. I’ll email him the link to that vid in case he hasn’t seen it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m going with Freeride Morocco in September, having been with Freeridespain a few years ago now.

So I have no doubts its a legit setup, but its good that BWD gives it the seal of approval actually having been. 🙂

Swayndo
    Free Member

woody2000, yes Bruce was on our trip … “whiney southerner … excellent description”!!!

His purple obsession’s a bit odd, huh?

I know Bri shared the link, but thanks anyway.

woody2000

Loves his purple does Brucey, I put it down to a fondness for Sloe Gin 🙂

Did he have his matching purple shoes & purple gloves on?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Oh yes 😆

slowburn
    Free Member

Well Thanks All,

I am booking the trip for June 15th. and I’m psyched. I expect it to be very hot
    so I’m planning on packing light. I’m thinking about wether to bring my own
    bike or not, they recommend that I do! It’s a Trek Fuel 95 with 180 mm Fox
    aftermarket shocks and 3 inches in the back. They have Santa Cruz Blur’s
    for rent! Any tips on traveling across the pond with a bike box would be greatly
    appreciated.

Slowburn……… 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s a Trek Fuel 95 with 180 mm Fox aftermarket shocks and 3 inches in the back.

wow…enjoy!

d45yth
    Free Member

I expect it to be very hot so I’m planning on packing light.

Do you realise a van carries all your stuff to each nights accommodation (and meets you halfway through the day for lunch)…when riding you only need what you’d need on a normal day ride.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

I went a couple of years ago, the trip following the snowy one – I think.
    Did I enjoy it – Yes.
    Would I go again – No.
    Given my time and money again I would probably go to somewhere in Europe that I haven’t been before – one mtb holiday in a blue moon for me.

The riding would suit the technically competent roadie; half a day was typically quality off road and the other half usually road; for me as a non roadie half a day of boring riding was too much.
    The evenings were also a bit long, not that I wanted to party all night but even so.
    As for the business and Simon they are legit,and in my opinion your money will be safe.
    Perhaps see it as an experience rather than a holiday.

Swayndo
    Free Member

The riding would suit the technically competent roadie; half a day was typically quality off road and the other half usually road

For the record that was NOT the case with the Ciclo trip … mid-travel slack bikes with big rubber best and not for the rookie.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Contact Marco from CycloMontana who has started doing this (see above). He’s a solid bloke and will be riding proper tech trails.

slowburn
    Free Member

Orange,

That’s exactly what I am considering it, an experience. With some good singletrack included. For a really
    awesome singletrack holiday I want to go to Oregon on the West Coast of America where the riding is
    outright epic……… Thanks…..

Slowburn

d45yth
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I am considering it, an experience. With some good singletrack included.

It will be exactly what you’re looking for then. I enjoyed it much more due to this, as I was taking everthing in…much more than interesting than being at ski-resort, in France or wherever. Of course, you do have to ride on dirt roads and whatnot to join everything up. That just gives you the chance to enjoy the views and take some photos though.

EDIT: Was it a typo about you having a 180mm fork?

Anna-B
    Free Member

How was your holiday in Morocco Slowburn/Mtbtomo?

sangobegger
    Free Member

Dont forget the tubeless tyres Mr Swayne. Apparently there was one poor soul on “Trad” tyres and he spent all day fixin punctures

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Excellent! Pretty tough but good fun.

Indeed similar to OrangeJohn’s comment, probably 1/2 – 3/4 of the day was off road on a combination of tough exposed mountainous singletrack or paths through remote Morcocan villages. There was usually some road climb or fire road climb each day also, so you need to be fairly fit as well as technically competent.

The riding would suit the technically competent roadie

Wouldn’t quite go that far but you do need to be reasonably fit and capable of steady climbing for up to 2 hours in warm weather. It is tough technically mostly due to the exposure / consequences of getting it wrong.

The gites were basic but comfortable enough if you can cope with sometimes cool showers and continental style toilets. Food was excellent and absolutely plentiful – mostly Moroccan tagines of chicken/meat and fresh veg plus fresh bread, cheese, eggs, salad etc.

If you’re expecting the comfort you’d get at European destinations, to get van uplifts and Western food, then this isn’t the holiday for you. If you want to experience more of an adventure – something a bit different culturally, with some decent riding, relaxed evenings (and sleeping outside under the stars if you want) then this is just the job!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks sounds great. I love a good adventure 🙂

Andy

Anna I did the same trip as d45yth a couple of years ago. Cant recommend them enough. One of the best trips I have done. Riding quite technical at times, as with any natural trails.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Freeride Morocco Andy? I just booked with them for next year. Hoping that if I can ride Alps I can ride Atlas… Good to hear positive reports.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

we went with cycleactive, awesome holiday, very technical riding, going with them to Turkey next year.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mtbing-in-morocco-youve-got-to-go

Anna-B
    Free Member

Oh I see Andy, *actually* the same trip, yes FM 🙂

Andy

heh yes met Dan (d45yth) on same trip with FM. Don’t worry about the technical grade. Everyone found their limit at some point, but 99% of the trails were very ridable. One of our group was first time on an MTB and riding a hardtail and managed ok, but then was a good roady and roasted most on the climbs. The riding is only part, views and accommodation locations (some stunning) are as much part of it. Guide Simon a top bloke too.

We went in early Feb and the unheated Gites were fekkin freezing at night. Very basic in shared rooms. Take some SERIOUS layers and a good sleeping bag. Oh and with hindsight I’d have taken some whiskey 😉

Great trip – you will love it! 😀

Edit: Oh and take spares. It was nearly game over for one guy when his mech hanger snapped on day 1, so pack anything you might need.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Good info thanks. Going later in season than that but know mtns get cold. Yes, going for the format i.e. linear and the accomm locations too. As well as scenery, mtns, mtb, etc 🙂

Actually have spare mech hanger in Camelbak now at all times 😉

Is it worth swapping to tubeless for the trip?

d45yth
    Free Member

Anna, if it’s going to cost a bit to upgrade to tubeless I wouldn’t bother…some folk running tubeless got a few punctures too, so had to put tubes in due to having no CO2.

Hope you enjoy it!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anna, we had about a handful of punctures between a group of 10 over 5 days riding, but at least two of us were running tubeless.

Like d45yth says, its not essential.

On the other hand re. night temperatures, we went in September, and packed loads of warm kit that we didn’t need even at night. It still must have been around 20 degrees or so at 10pm at night, but it was better to have the warm gear and not need it than vice versa.

Anna-B
    Free Member

thank you for info 🙂

missnotax
    Free Member

This is all fab to read – I’ve also booked with Freeride Morocco next year 🙂

Anna-B
    Free Member

Oooh when you going?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And heed the advice on the website that says take book(s) to read and chocolate as, cos there is minimal to do in the evening after dinner except look out over a starry sky 🙂

And definitely no 1×10 set ups….thought I was fairly fit, but just minutes into the first day was soooooooo glad I fitted a granny ring back on.

Andy

Uno deck ftw 😉

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Bump! Anyone want to add the experiences?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Freeride Morocco???????’ is closed to new replies.