Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Freeride bikes – what else is there?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Currently have an Orange Big-t but looking at a new frame.
    The ones I can think of are:

Lapierre Froggy – It looks like this has a QR axle, but can't tell for sure, I was hoping for bolt-through/maxle.
    Santa Cruz Driver 8
    Santa cruz Bullit

Can any one recommend any others that may be worse considering?

peteimpreza

Cannondale Perp?

Perp

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cove STD? Rides really nice, is a bit heavy how I've built it at 42lbs but could easily loose a couple of pounds. Pedals fantastically for such a big bike. I use it for XC routes when my Hustler is waiting for parts or anything. It's got a maxle at the back. It looks like this:

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I have an Intense 951 with a Totem, it can be built as a DH race or as a freeride bike without a problem.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah, your 951 looks lovely too.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, the Cove looks really good, I will certainly check one of those out.

doug_basqueMTB.com

You could have had a go on it but I'm in the Basque Country. If you want a demo you could speak to Lyndsey at base camp bikes in laggan who normally has one built up I think.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

My 951 in it's orignal build…that Cove is a cracker…what wheelset is that?

As the Cove, the 951 pedals really well. It feel's just as great tearing down Fort William DH as it does hitting jumps and drops at Cambu. Not sure what it the weight is, but I think I could still carry it up a Munro without problem.

didmatt
    Free Member

Spec' SX Trail?

hicksville
    Free Member

titus el guapo or older supermoto

Shandy
    Free Member

Another for the SX Trail, mine is 34-35lbs without much effort.

You can be pretty sure the Froggy will have a maxle, LaPierre spec their bikes very well.

coogan
    Free Member

I've got a Bullit up for sale. Shamless plug, but there you go.

Dango
    Free Member

SX here too

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Demo 7, Commencal Furious, Mini DH, Intense Uzzi, Remedy… there are lots out there..

Personally I would go for the Uzzi or a furious (had a furious they are very nice)that said demos always ride well and do the job and dont break the bank!

Kuco

Got a Demo 7 and just spent 2 weeks in the Alps with it and can't fault it one bit absolutely brilliant imo and my choice of bike wasn't down to budget either.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Is that sx trail 2010? I saw one out on the trails and thought it looked great so looked on the website when I got home but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link to details of it?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Wheelset is the DT Swiss FR2350 (or numbers similar to that!). Very hard to get tyres on and off even with all the tricks of the trade!

chakaping
    Free Member

Froggy looks great, I was vaguely considering one as I was sort of offered a deal – but found the spec a bit confusing.

The 318 comes with a 180mmm Domain, but the 518 comes with a 160mm Van 36. And it has a DHX Air shock, whereas I'd rather have a high volume rp shock or coil DHX.

Not in the market for an FR bike myself now, but if I was I'd be hanging on for the 2010 Reign X – with new lighter frame.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

mate of mine just built himself a cove std too. it's a beast.
    i have a 2008 norco six 2, i love it but i'm still not really all that good at doing it justice!

Tracey

SX Trail

Tracey

si-wilson
    Free Member

How about the Chumba F5?

I have built a few of them as FR bikes, and they can be built to around 38lb.

if you fancy one let me know, i can sort you a good deal 😉

schwimoid
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AM/FR/ST – UFOST

FR

AM

UFO ST

hicksville
    Free Member

These are very impressive bikes

l45key
    Free Member

DeVinci Hectik?

from Here

rolfharris
    Free Member

Hold out for the much imporved 2010 Faith-

CalD
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has said but a Trek Session 88 FR? I have one an its amazing 🙂

cabeaumont
    Free Member

I'll second CalD on the Session 88fr. I've been riding mine for 9 months now and still love it!! (apologoes for poor picture quality – camera phones just ain't what they sed to be!!)

grumm
    Free Member

That Titus looks like a Halfords £59.99 special.

At the risk of sounding like MisterGnar, I'm interested to know are these bikes used for the kind of crazy 'freeride' you see in north shore videos etc, or just for doing some slightly bigger jumps/drops?

cabeaumont
    Free Member

Grumm,

To try and answer your question about the use of these 'freeride' bikes, mine spends a majority of it's life getting a hard time! Most frequent haunts are Innerleithen and Ft. William getting a downhill fix as well as generally larking about at places such as Glentress freeride park.

EG.

Pissing about at Glentress last week

Make of it what you want, and yeah i'm sure there's someone on here gonna say 'I could do that on my blah blah blah – all I know if I'm havin the time of my life when i'm on that bike!!

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one! Love the second pic.

I honestly wasn't trying to be one of those miserable whiny people who go on about being 'over-biked', just interested really.

Wish I had that kind of riding near me (and that I had the balls to do it). Do you reckon a Spesh Pitch would handle that kind of thing? I realise a bike like the Session is probably more suited/fun for it.

Got some mates going up to Glentress/Innerliethen this weekend but I can't go cos of work 🙁

Dango
    Free Member

A pitch isnt a FR bike

grumm
    Free Member

Really? Thanks for informing me of that. Presumably if I did any big jumps on it it would explode and kill me in a ball of fire then?

Dango
    Free Member

Hopefully

RealMan
    Free Member

Really? Thanks for informing me of that. Presumably if I did any big jumps on it it would explode and kill me in a ball of fire then?

lol.

Dango
    Free Member

If you want to do stuff like that in the second picture, any bike would do, even an explosive Pitch

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I've done jumps like the one in the second picture on it, and it hasn't exploded yet – it's more the bigger stuff really I was wondering about.

I imagine it would be fine – the yanks definition of 'all-mountain' seems to be what we would probably call 'light freeride' (or something :P) anyway.

Dango
    Free Member

Its ALL XC

MrAgreeable

Nicolai Helius AM/FR/ST

I had a go on one of these and it felt like it was miles off the ground. Same with my Bullit – unless the suspension is compressed, you're wobbling around like a monkey on a stick. Questionable whether it makes any difference in the real world, expecially with a mincer like me on board, but if you want cornering ability at the expense of a bit of ground clearance, I'd look elsewhere.

cabeaumont
    Free Member

Grumm, no offence caused by your comment – i'm one of those people that rides a bike wherever they want, however they want and doesn't give a **** what other people say or think! I'm in it for me – there's far too many tarts that aren't!!

2nd pic is Ft. William the day after the world cup downhill this year!

Tbh I think the pitch is not a bad ride. See plenty of them up here at trial centres but tbh, if you are only going to ride trial centre type stuff (i.e. groomed) i'd say the pitch is overkill. If you are wanting to get into bigger stuff and want a freeride type bike i'd seriously look at a 2009 specialized big hit. Seem great value for money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Freeride bikes – what else is there?’ is closed to new replies.