Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Free Web design software….
  • MtbCol
    Free Member

For numptys.

The ATC Squadron I am an adult instructor with is soon to be starting its run of projects, and the subject of designing a website has reared its head. Now, on the surface this seems like a good idea, as the current webpage (that's the best I can describe it as) is chronically out of date and doesn't supply much of anything.

So, I'm thinking of tackling this project with some of th eSquadron, but don't really have a clue where to start.

Help would most definately be appreciated on this one!

l45key
    Free Member

Nvu seemed to be the best free software I found, pretty simple to use.

jam-bo

notepad.

grahamh
    Free Member

Notepad++

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends – do you want a dynamic site with use-updatable contents or a robust and not very dynamic site? How much access to a server do you have and do you have database capabilities on the server?

MtbCol
    Free Member

For the notepad guys – I assume you would recommend starting with the basics from scratch with html and then progres from there?

As for server access and database stuff, I think we'll try and decide on what the site detail is going to be like then tackle the online stuff at a later date. We do have access to local govt/council webspace, but that is strictly limited from what I can gather, so it will probably be a standalone exercise to begin with.

GrahamA
    Free Member

For the notepad guys – I assume you would recommend starting with the basics from scratch with html and then progress from there?

There a just rattling you cage:

coffeeking is correct, do you what a dynamic or static site?

If you have a static site you will be limited to relatively simple content, if you want a dynamic site you can do practically anything. STW and the BBC are dynamic site but my previous link is static.

Have a look here for some more info

geoffj

WordPress.com – it's not just for blogs.

swisstony
    Free Member

http://www.wetpaint.com/

or learn dreamweaver

MtbCol
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys, looks like there's a fair bit to decide on before jumping in, so I think I'll let the Cadets decide what they want to achieve and go from there.

I've used some WYSIWYG programs and learnt a bit of HTML in the past so might go down that route first to build a basic site then improve from there as and when skills allow.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you have access to a database on the server you can drop in a content management system to do most of the work for you, such as e107, with simple free add-in packages for forums, calendars, news etc etc and all the log-in stuff handled if required, no HTML (or even page design) required but pick a "theme" and modify its images and colours if you fancy.

This site is cracking for checking out free content management packages such as that:
    http://php.opensourcecms.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Free Web design software….’ is closed to new replies.