Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • France – things to do ?
  • cranberry
    Free Member

In October I will be travelling from Holland down to Avignon/Marseilles. I need to be at the destination on the Wednesday, and I'm free to travel on the preceding Saturday. A long motorway blast through the country without stopping off is a possibility, but it seems like a bad idea to travel that distance without spending a bit of time enjoying the country. I've thought about a diversion to Normandy for a tour of the invasion beaches/museums, does anyone else have some recommendations for me ( interested in WWII history/for logistical reasons I will not have a bike with me ) ?

peteimpreza

A stop in the Burgundy region would be my suggestion. Beaune is one of the obvious suggestions. Chalon sur Soane would be mine.

Drop me a mail if you want some details.

nickc

Go to Caen, last time i was there it was national "Don't wear a bra" day or something. Made the time go quickly…

JulianA
    Free Member

Don't know if St Omer is going to be on your route, but I can recommend

1) La Coupole – fascinating

2) L'ascenseur de fontinettes – not WWII but excellent if you like industrial archaeology

3) Le blockhaus – also excellent

You might also want to look up the Maginot Line (could be on your route), Arnehm (also could be on your route) and Verdun (dark and nasty and WWI and also fascinating)

Have a great trip!

cranberry
    Free Member

JulianA – thanks for the suggestions. Looks like le Blockhaus is directly on the route to Caens from my place.

I've been to Verdun many years ago – fort Vaux and the large fort in the centre of town – fascinating. Arnhem is about an hour and a half down the road from me, and I do keep meaning to go back there.

The trip through France is only the start of the trip to the Sahara. I can't wait 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    Go to Caen, last time i was there it was national "Don't wear a bra" day or something. Made the time go quickly…

Ah, happy days in Caen….! Many of them involved bra-less young ladies, as it happens! If you are in Caen, make sure you go to the Musee de la Paix. Stunning. Jaw dropping, moving and stunning. Also, go to some of the D-Day cemeteries. Equally moving and stunning places. You owe them a visit…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mt Ventoux is near Avignon.

ianv
    Free Member

if its the first week of October then Super Besse bike park in the Auvergne has its closing weekend. 40 euros for 2 day lift pass, food, limitless wine (allegedly). This is a great little place, really friendly, ace riding and well worth the effort and the hire of a bike for the weekend.

Personally I would skip the North of France and head south. loads around Avignon, the Ardeche, Arles, Les Clanques, Gorge du Verdon, Camague, Aix en Provence, Marseilles, Luberon. Much nicer weather, better vibe etc.

mefty
    Free Member

If going to Normandy to look at the beaches etc, read D Day by Anthony Beevor now, a highly readable and authoritative book that goes through the battle for Normandy. Gives you a much better idea of the campaign compared to movies which concentrate on the first day which was a small part of the story.

The Loire Valley if you like Chateaux and good wine.

Burgundy if you like good food and wine.

chutney13
    Free Member

hire a bike with a basket and cruise.

cranberry
    Free Member

Mefty – it's an excellent book, as are Stalingrad and Berlin.

Good food and wine also sound rather a fine idea.

Ianv – don't think that I want to risk somewhere with an uplift as the trip to Tunisia is costing me a small fortune and I have a habit of falling off with little grace at the most inopportune times. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘France – things to do ?’ is closed to new replies.