Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • frame too flexy?
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Has anyone bought/rode a frame and found it just too flexy?

i getting brake rub from a steel CX frame when out of the saddle, it’s never happened befor on road or mtb frames i’ve had? it could be the Wheels but i’m using Hope Hoops amd thought they’d be plenty stiff.

anyone?

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm. Could be the frame; what is it?

In my experience it’s more likely to be the wheels, how are they built? 3 cross, 2 cross, radially spoked at the front?

…and are you using brakes set close to the rims?

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

frame is a Traitor Crusade and the Hope Hoops are 2 cross factory built.

The blocks are about 2mm from the rim

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is it a cross check? Mine does this when road riding particularly.

It wont be the wheels, when I had my old planet x wheels, they used to flex and hit the brake pads. Ive now got 2 cross hope hoops 28 spoke, these dont felx at all (or at least not like the PX ones)

But if you I come to a steady hill climb and I stand up to give it hammer in the big ring, the frames felx’s loads. Around the BB area it seems to be I think. Bit annoying, guess its not made for my massive sub 11 stone weight and legs of steel strength.

crikey
    Free Member

Dunno then. The frame looks to be a good un, so I’d suspect the wheels, especially if you are a human powerhouse or a taste tester in a pie factory.

Have you got any other wheels you could try out?

2 cross wheels should be able to be tensioned to stiffen them up..

I_Ache
    Free Member

I found the back end of my pitch flexy when cornering hard the tyre would rub on the seat stay. It definitely wasn’t the wheels they are rock solid., it could have done with a bolt up rear end but I never bothered because i had to take the back wheel off whenever I went for a ride.

jameso

2mm of pad clearance giving some brake scuff on a slim steel frame sounds normal enough to me. If I really lean a steel road or cx bike over when honking uphill I’d not be suprised to hear a bit of rub.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Dunno but My carbon Exotic MTB forks flex enough to keep catching my brake disc on the front! very annoying but I can’t see any way round it.

BigJohn

Try a better QR. Shimano are the stiffest. Does it rub both sides?

But just because it’s flexy, why does that make it too flexy?

mildred

My Cotic Soda (mk1) was like a wet noodle. It flexed when I farted let alone a hard pedal stroke.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘frame too flexy?’ is closed to new replies.