• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Frame size for a short arse
  • IainAhh
    Free Member

I am thinking of building up a steel hardtail bike, possibly from a donor bike like the boardman comp. Approx 120 mm front fork. For general xc / scottish type mtb.

Being vertically changed about 5’6″ with short 27″ inside legs I am outwith the standard bike sizing for a bloke.

Just wondering of anyone of arround my size has done the same, if so what size of frame did they go for.

Is a 16″ blue pig too big?
    14″ or 16″ on one?
    I also liked the look of Genisis & Whyte bikes off the shelf.

Any thoughts other than going for the smallest frame in a range?

alexpalacefan

I’ve a 26″ inside leg and find a 14″ On One just right. The long TT and low standover is perfect for those of us with ‘normal’ ish bodies and stumpy legs.

If your near Nottingham your welcome to have a try.

456, Inbred, Scandal (do they still make this?), all great bikes.

APF

toys19
    Free Member

I posed this question a while ago and Brant said on these pages that there wasn’t much of a market for short arses so he wasn’t going to bother..
    I’ve tried the smallest orange P7, the smallest 456 and the smallest cotic BFe, the BFe is the winner for me, as the xs size is proportianlly shorter too, whearas I found the 456 and the P7 a bit too long. didnt bother with the ragley based on Brants comments.. I’m 5ft 6.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent! more short arses, & i thought i was the only one, with 29″ legs.
    I’m on a 16″ Orange 5 & my HT is 15.75 centre to centre with quite a slopey top tube but it’s a custom steel job.

Thats been no help at all has it?

damo2576
    Free Member

Contrary to popular belief the S on smaller size frames stands for ‘Short Arse’.

So you need a size S.

brant
    Free Member

I posed this question a while ago and Brant said on these pages that there wasn’t much of a market for short arses so he wasn’t going to bother..

Ragley frames in 14in, but only from early 2011.

toys19
    Free Member

In your defence Brant, I cant find the thread and I do remember you saying you might get it done “sometime” after I moaned at you, but it wasn’t a priority.. Boiled my piss anyway, bloody shortist’s..

elaineanne
    Free Member

geez Brant just pipped me at the post (lol) ..i was just going to say Ragley are making the new size frames of 14″ for 2011….. me being only short ass too 5ft teenie tiny (14 inch are fine for me and 13 inch actualy !

s-keeper

I’m 5’7″ with 31″ inseam which I assume gives me a shortish torso. My biggest issue is getting right behind the saddle on steep descents, even with it dropped a reasonable way. I had a 17″ P7 that really was too long, swapped it out for a 14″ On-one 456.

However, at the time of order I didn’t realise the ETT on the 14″ is a full 1.5″ shorter than the 16″, even though there is only 0.5″ between the 16″/18″ and 18″/20″. Nevertheless, I would probably be happy with this setup, though I run an inline post with 80mm stem to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs.

Looks like a 14″ Ragley might quench my thirst for perfection. Brant, I remember you mentioned its ETT was 22.5″ in another thread, do you have numbers for its stack, reach and headtube length? I’ve actually just bought a 2nd hand 16″ mmmBop frame cause I got a bargain Revelation with 1.5″ steerer and I couldn’t wait until early 2011 to use it… …even if it might be too big

alexpalacefan

Damn you Brant, I thought I was immune from Ragley ;0

APF

emsz
    Free Member

5’4″ here ride a small Chameleon. Short stem. Works for me I dont know the dimensions of the frame though sorry

cy

Got XS (14.5″) BFes in stock right now. 22″ top tube, should work lovely. Drop us a line.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Frame size for a short arse’ is closed to new replies.