Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fox Vanilla R spring rate ?
  • Bert
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I have a pair of 2009 Fox Vanilla R forks, but I am only using around 1/2 the travel at most. I know I need to change the spring but I don't know wether to go down 1 or 2 springs.

I weigh 140lb's and the current spring is for a 150-180lb rider. I can either go down 1 spring rating to 115-150lb (Purple), which I would have though would be about right, or down 2 to 90-115lb (Black). I have read on a few forums that the springs come up stiff and to get one lower than you need.

Has anybody had any experience with changing the fork springs, and what spring do you recommend I go for ?

Thanks.

edd

Hi I weigh about the same as you and use a custom 45 lb/in spring (roughly the black).

coatesy
    Free Member

If you decide on a purple, i've got one that's only been used twice(failed experiment with extra sag).E-mail me if interested and we'll sort something out price-wise.

Bert
    Free Member

coatesy – YGM 😀

mr_mills
    Free Member

I weigh about 180lbs and use the purple spring. I get about 30-40mm of sag (with no preload) but have only managed to get full travel out of them once or twice.

So if I was you I'd go down to the black one.

Bert
    Free Member

I weigh about 180lbs and use the purple spring. I get about 30-40mm of sag (with no preload) but have only managed to get full travel out of them once or twice.

In that case it looks like I will need the black spring, although I am 2st heavier than the reccomended max weight. What sort of riding do you do mr_mills?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I do XC / trail riding in the Lakes / Peaks / North Wales plus some trail centre riding e.g. Llandegla, Lee Quarry.

mr_mills
    Free Member

It's all about the sag anyway – if you can get about 25% sag in the 'attack' position you've got the right spring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fox Vanilla R spring rate ?’ is closed to new replies.