Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fox van r forks:What spring to use?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

If you use van r forks I would like to know how heavy you are and which spring you use please. I use a firm spring on my Lyriks, I’m around 14.5 stone at the moment.

cheers in advance, with the ROCKSHOX guide being completely inaccurate I don’t have much faith in the fox one.

AdeC
    Free Member

Give Mojo a bell. They should know straight away if you’re on the right spring and will probably sell you a replacement if required.

Bagstard
    Free Member

They came with two spare springs, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

LoCo
    Free Member

Check the sag with the standard spring in. I’m a about half a stone lighter and found the standard almost too firm.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks loco, although I haven’t properly ridden the fork yet (down the street, driveway and steps into the garden)the standard spring which should be too light for me feels pretty nice. I’m assuming the fork will loosen up as it beds in, but I have lubed the seals and stanchions and they already feel smooth.

LoCo
    Free Member

Will loosen up a bit, I ended up running the softer spring in my Van r’s with max preload and a bit of modding on the cartridge as fell between the two rates, but I am really picky 😀

Poldarn
    Free Member

Been a while since I’ve weighed myself but I’m usually 12.5 – 13st. I use the lightest supplied spring (there’s a lighter one but you need to buy it) with a lot of preload to get the right amount of sag and very little compression damping. I’ve always been light on my forks for some reason (lightweight upper body/ poor weight distribution when I’m riding?).

Bagstard
    Free Member

What sort of modding can be done? Are you talking re-valving or oil weight etc? Hopefully I wont need it, but…

LoCo
    Free Member

Different oil, slight re shim (not alot you can do with R carts.) and a tidy up.

grum
    Free Member

I weigh about 16.5 stone, and have the heaviest one that came with it in mine – seems spot on.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks all, I guess the proof of the pudding is in the riding, I will have a go with the standard spring and see what’s what.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fox van r forks:What spring to use?’ is closed to new replies.