Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox Talas – knackered????
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

I had a new set of TALAS forks (34mm/160mm) fitted when I bought my Yeti at the beginning of March. I had them checked by the LBS two weeks ago on its first service. They fitted new seals and more oil. But I’m still not overly happy. They feel notchy and I have to run very low pressure to get any reasonable sag. I’m 105kg kitted up and I’ve got around 70psi to get 40mm of sag.

This evening I’ve had a play. With the TALAS wound down to 120mm. 90 psi (fox recommended for my weight) and I get 30mm of travel, however when I let the TALAS out I only 20mm. With the TALAS down the travel feels smooth but with it out it feels notchy.

So buggered forks???

banks
    Free Member

Not buggered I’d say. Same problems with mine – talas are awesome trail centre forks but rubbish out in natural style trials. Fwiw loco – conversion into floats. Awesome forks

mintimperial

awesome trail centre forks but rubbish out in natural style trials

Eh? Do you think they have special Fox-friendly mud at trail centres or something?

Both sets of Talas forks I’ve had (32mm but same basic tech) have worked fine at both settings after years of trail centres and real-world riding. Sounds like there’s something wrong with yours OP, I’d get them looked at again.

BigSteve
    Free Member

I’m fairly certain there’s something wrong with them when I get more sag and smoother travel when set to 120 rather 160.

I’ll be phoning the LBS to got the bike back in.

banks
    Free Member

Eh? Do you think they have special Fox-friendly mud at trail centres or something?

Both sets of Talas forks I’ve had (32mm but same basic tech) have worked fine at both settings after years of trail centres and real-world riding. Sounds like there’s something wrong with yours OP, I’d get them looked at again.

Lazy post. They were awesome in a trail centre style setting i.e smoother ground, bigger transitions between hits etc whereas natural trails with constant mid-range hits they would dive throughout their travel and other shit.

anyway convert them into floats – awesome!

BigSteve
    Free Member

They were awesome in a trail centre style setting i.e smoother ground, bigger transitions between hits etc whereas natural trails with constant mid-range hits they would dive throughout their travel and other shit.

anyway convert them into floats – awesome!

Problem is I can’t even set the sag in my garden, let alone on the trail. For bigger hits they seem ok as they push through the notchiness (if that’s a word) but they have no small bump sensitivity at all. I feel it all through the bars.

Davesport

I had a similar problem with my 36 Talas fork. Lot’s of stiction which didn’t help setting up the sag. I was running less pressure in an attempt at getting the sag close but then it was way too soft everywhere else. The fork also lacked compliance over the small stuff. Changing to the low friction seals made a big difference to all of this. Still nowhere near as nice as a 36 Van & I’m considering conversion. I can live without the Talas mech.

D.

JCL
    Free Member

Talas is garbage.

BigSteve
    Free Member

For the best part of a grand I don’t expect garbage!!!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tuesdays first job is to finealy send my 34 talas back to mojo
    For some tlc , the ctd has not worked since new but I was impatient to get out and ride
    Either fork feels harsh with no small bump or just dives through travel

Also not been able to back off the rebound enough

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox Talas – knackered????’ is closed to new replies.