Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fox 2013 'integration'
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Has this been done yet?

We just got the info through for the 2013 range (available from May !!??). The 3 position CTD – climb/trail/descend – feature extends across fork, rear shock and uppy downy seatpost and looks as if it works off a single remote control.

Now I can see some big benefits to that – you’re far less likely to set off downhill with your shocks nearly locked out (max compression damping) if the seatpost gives you a big physical reminder and likewise less likely to stomp up in soft settings with the seatpost dropped.

However, that’s a whole load more cables running around the bike and I’m not convinced by the ‘trail’ setting. It has the saddle dropped 40mm which might work well on alpine big climb/traverse/big descent riding but not sure that’s what I’d want for a lot of UK, not so steep stuff. There’s a lot of UK riding where I want the suspension working but the saddle fully up.

Thoughts?

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed. Moving fork and shock together is good, but I’d want independent control of my seatspost. Have to say though I’ve not seen anything about integrating all 3, just fork and shock, with a separate seatpost lever.

edd

I think that the fork and shock have one lever and the seatpost another.

EDIT: Yes definitely two separate levers. In this photo the lever on the right controls both the fork and the shock. The lever on the left controls the seatpost.
    Personally I’m not a fan of remote forks or shocks, it seems to just be more bar clutter.

EDIT 2: How freaking ugly are the fox remote levers, and they’re HUGE.

scruff
    Free Member

I have not wanting for any adjustment on my forks or shock once setup, just want a remote for the seatpost. Cables are ugly, more to go wrong, more to maintain.

edit- more to stick in your leg in a crash

wwaswas

I think they need to go down the Di2 route – 3 small buttons on the bars and the actual controls remotely placed on the bike or in the frame.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t need/want a remote for shock or forks and I’d want independent control of the post.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like those old Subaru XTs where the 4 wheel drive only came on when you switched the windscreen wipers on…

Also, I refuse to have more than 4 cables coming off my bars on any bike…

skywalker
    Free Member

Daaaaaaaamn, the leavers look SHITE!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How did that lever ever get past the “wouldn’t this be a good idea” phase?

Shocking.

doof_doof
    Free Member

**** that’s hideous.

wrecker
    Free Member

I will NEVER have one of those levers on my bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can see the advantages, but +1 for ti being a lot of cabeling and levers! Much prefer the RS pop-lock style levers.

Wouldn’t have been quite so messy if they’d swap the legs over so the damping was by the disk brake, then zip tie 2 cables together at least.

How long do you reckon before Fox/shimano or Avid/RockShox or Magura bring out an anti-dive forks (a la 90’s motorbikes)?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont understand why you get so uppity about cables.
    It is a bike it is designed to perform a function if this function can be enhanced with some more cables then really what is your problem

I am not saying it is a good idea jut st that I dont get upset by cable numbers or “bar cluter”

RustySpanner

Wouldn’t a twistgrip be better for the suss adjustments?

rocketman
    Free Member

Everything in that picture is just gagging to be smashed off in the first OTB moment

njee20
    Free Member

The latest Fox remote is pretty neat, although the cable slaps about a bit.

I’d rather have a crown mounted one though I must say. When returning my fork for service (with a broken remote lockout lever 🙄 ) I asked about the cost to change to crown mounted – thinking it’d be cheaper…

Mojo: “so you want to change to crown mounted lockout”
    Me: “If it’s cheaper than replacing the remote, yes”
    Mojo: “it’s £300 to fit a new RLC cartridge”
    Me: 😯 “how much to replace the remote?”
    Mojo: “oh we do that within the cost of the service”

So I’ll stick with remote lockouts for now! RS’s interchangeable cartridge seems more sensible!

Don’t run the rear shock remote, just too many cables!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a twistgrip be better for the suss adjustments?

yes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am not saying it is a good idea jut st that I dont get upset by cable numbers or “bar cluter”

Yes, but in that pic there’s 6 levers to press as you get over the top of a hill.

Into the big ring, down a few gears at the back, unlockout both suspensions, drop the post, and I’ve no idea what the other lever on the post adjuster does, and thats before you have to brake! That and it just looks fugly.

It is a bike it is designed to perform a function if this function can be enhanced with some more cables then really what is your problem

It doesn’t perform a function, it’s a toy, a commuter motorbike performs a function, mountain bikes are toys. It can be a better toy, but thts about it. And I reckon for most people, how the toy looks is alsmot as impostant.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hate the idea of more leavers on the bars and that setup looks very prone to crash damage.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Wow. Just wow. 😯

The only thing missing is that ridiculous on-the-fly tyre pressure adjustment thing. Then you’d have a really sweet setup:

EDIT: the more I look at that last pic, the more ridiculous it gets. 😀

ryanw
    Free Member

Just saying…..

Think Fox are a little behind the game.

billysugger
    Free Member

Holy poo. Those pics!

If I have to think more about what I’m doing I ride more slowly/crash.

alex222
    Free Member

Think Fox are a little behind the game.

yes but sram are awful and avid brakes are worse. Also dropper posts are almost pointless

In my opinion of course.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fox 2013 'integration'’ is closed to new replies.