• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5AM.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Formula brakes user opinions ease of bleeding and maintenance
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Just seen this brakes that someone posted on a earlier thread a bit since. http://store.formula-brake.com/items/special-brake-set-2

They look good to me and something of a bargain. Any size Rotors and mounts included etc heard good things about formula regarding there feel and power. Also you can get spares for them which helps!

I use Shimano and have for years. I currently have dual controls but find the shifting not as good and responsive as rapid fire. So I’m going back to RF.

I know Rose bikes do good deals on XT but I fancy going for something different and the brakes above are better value and look better than the XT IMO

Not too keen on them using DOT fluid as opposed to mineral oil and I have heard they can be a PITA to bleed up and need doing quite a bit? In contrast my old style XT brakes I have run a few sets on various bikes never needed anything doing in three years including bleeding!

The brakes above come with massive long hoses so will need bleeding down and cutting out of the box. Will I need to shell out on a special bleed kit?

Waderider
    Free Member

I find them easy to bleed (R1’s), but have the bleed kit at hand.

sheffield43
    Free Member

I’ve got the K24s – my experience is they are fine to bleed but only if you have the Formula bleed kit and you follow the instructions to the letter. Similar bleed process to Avids.

davetrave
    Free Member

Having previsouly been a Hope fan I tried some Oros a while back and found them absolutely fantastic for the price – light, powerful and bags of feel. I had a set of Oro Puros to start with (now on the classifieds as spares) and then bought 2 sets of Oro Biancos direct from Formula on one of these deals – fortunately all 3 sets I’ve had were just about right in hose length so no need to bleed them.

I recently changed my FS frame and decided to upgrade the hoses, this required a bleed, see my thread here for details… Bleeding Formula brakes (fig and lit)

The official Formula instructions were useless, Mr Nutt’s system, on the other hand, gave me working brakes in 2 goes. I still love the Formulas but have gone back to Hope for my FS just for simplicity of maintenance – the missus has the Formulas on her bike now…

5AM
    Free Member

I now have Formula “The One” on both bikes (one older style, one newer) and couldn’t be happier. So much better than the Avids they replaced.

Some people do seem to think they can be a bit “grabby” but I like them that way, and I find I can still get great modulation. One of those things you may need to get used to at first though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Formula brakes user opinions ease of bleeding and maintenance’ is closed to new replies.