Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Forks Movement
  • DannyLeigh
    Free Member

Hello,
    Having upgraded my forks from 80mm to 100mm, I have noticed that the forks are loose in the head tube and when the front brake is applied, the steerer rocks within the tube. Is this because it is an old frame that originally had 80mm forks, or is it me being stupid?
    Thanks,
    Dan.

grumm
    Free Member

Did you fit the forks yourself?

Sounds like play in the headset, might just need tightening up. Loosen the stem bolts, then tighten the bolt in the top of the steerer (not too tight) then re-tighten the stem bolts.

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I have tried that and it seems to have little or no effect. Could it be solved if I hammered the SFN in further?

retro83
    Free Member

is the stem sitting a few MM above the top of the steerer?

Frizzer
    Free Member

If everying is as tight as it should be it may be worth checking the headset itself. I had similar symptoms after a bit of an off and on investigation I had cracked the headset cup.

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

The stem is about 1mm above the steerer. I fitted a new headset yesterday too, which didn't solve the problem either.

grumm
    Free Member

Did you put the headset back together properly? Definitely not missing any bits?

Oh just seen the edit – just asking cos I once put fitted some forks and somehow missed putting back in the expanding wedge, and was left with lots play in the headset.

Onzadog
    Free Member

1 mm isn't enough. I reckon there's a lip on the stem cap that's just as deep. Therefore, your stem cap bottoms out on the steerer and stops you from applying the proper preload to the headset.

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

Ok, I'll remove a washer.

nuke

Ok, I'll remove a washer.

If you're referring to the spacers and you've only 1mm, you need to add a spacer, not remove.

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

That's what I meant Nuke 😆

The job is now done, thanks guys, it's fine now. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Forks Movement’ is closed to new replies.