Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fork servicing
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I think my fork (Rock Shox Pike 454 Air)'s about due for a service and was wondering who everyone takes theirs to? TF Tuning looks like the most common place but are there any that do as good (if not better) job, preferably for less money (I've just finished uni – got no money!)?

Cheapest option would be to do it myself but I'm not really confident with taking a fork apart and servicing it. Really how scary is it/how likely am I to nacker my fork if I try it by myself and are there any good guides for it? As well as a good clean/re-oil it needs the motion control assembly replacing as I want a normal cap fitted rather than remote poploc which I never use..

Whilst I'm here, my brakes need bleeding as well. Do you need to bleed with new pads or can I get away with my old ones that still work quite well? My brakes aren't that bad, just feel a little spongey.

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn't risk putting new pads in before a bleed – they might get contaminated.

Edric64
    Free Member

Although quite easy I did my Rockshox Dukes in half an hour it was piss easy .I certainly wouldn't pay tft £100 to do it

trinity1
    Free Member

always bleed with old pads in or a block of wood as a spacer, also if you are not sure about the pikes id send them off to tf good value and great service

_tom_
    Free Member

Ah, good. I thought I read somewhere that you should always bleed with new/unworn pads for some reason. Never bled a brake before so this'll be an experience as well 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

The parts alone cost circa £50, so for what it's worth I'd save my pennies up and send them to TFT.

robhughes
    Free Member

yep.have to agree with PJM there.it,s just not worth doing a full service your self.plus you know there going to be spot on and fully checked over for any faults when they come back from TFT.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ok I'll have to wait til I can afford a TF service then!

How do you guys post your forks to em btw – where do you get a box big enough to fit a set of forks?! My LBS don't seem to keep fork or bike boxes..

ross980
    Free Member

I took my Fox Vanillas to Evans. They send them off to their special fork service centre so assuming you can get to a shop there's no P&P to pay. Cost was £75. Not sure if the cost is the same for air forks though.

There difference with the forks is really noticeable since the service – I guess fork performance gradually deteriorates, I only got them serviced because they started spewing oil on the way down Cut Gate – next time I won't wait so long! 😳

_tom_
    Free Member

Closest Evans is Milton Keynes, a lot closer than TF. Will see what they can do for me 🙂

What happened to yours is why I want/need to get mine in for a service! I've been using the bike loads recently and its been quite dusty, a lot of which seems to be attracted to the stanchions so I think its probably getting quite dirty inside.

PJM1974
    Free Member

IME TFT's service is second to none.

Can't fault them at all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If all they need is an oil change then DIY is simple. Do it anyway

Dirtynap
    Free Member

TF are great. They provide truely excellent customer service, very helpful. Plus you know exact when your service will happen and you get your stuff back the next day.

Gooner
    Free Member

tf are excellent and quick.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Try your local LBS's to see if they have the skills – should be cheaper than TFT. The only thing mine can't do is a nitrogen re-pressure which you shouldn't need. If you are not comfortable with bleeding brakes you should not attempt taking your fork apart

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

recently ive been trying alot of things my self cause most places u ring up u gotta wait like 2 week to book or its already fully booked or they dont even wanna touch it, but for ya forks, id go tf tuned thats where my m8 got his done, i was gona get mine done there but they didnt have a certain part for me, luckily im getting it sorted elsewhere

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fork servicing’ is closed to new replies.