Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ford Focus Zetec Question
  • jimster
    Free Member

Looking at buying the above, Estate version – what am I looking at for mpg for an 2001 registered car?

richmtb

Engine?

try parkers

stumpy01

Isn't Zetec just a spec level? So mpg probably ranges from 30-60mpg or so depending on the engine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tron
    Free Member

Yep. Zetec originally described an engine range, but became a spec level a few years after it was introduced.

jimster
    Free Member

Engine?

😳 1600 petrol.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. Zetec originally described an engine range, but became a spec level a few years after it was introduced.

It did yes.

We have a 2005 Zetec estate, 100bhp 1.6 petrol.

**Sad git alert!!!**
    I've been keeping fuel records for 10,878 miles now and it's averaging 35.9mpg
    40-41 mpg is doable on the motorway with a light foot, drops to 33mpg round town.

stumpy01

I was gonna say (and still will, I guess) that Parkers reckons 40mpg, but I'd have thought around 35mpg would be the real figure….

PP beat me to it though with some real world info!

IainAhh

Hi,

I have a 2000 (w) zetec estate 1.8 petrol.

It does about 33-36 mpg for all round driving.
    You can get 40mpg at a steady 65mph (motorway) with no roof rack on.

I would imagine the 1.6 would be slightly better.
    The offical figures are a little ambitious.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I get between 33 and 37 for normal driving in my 1.6 TiVCT can get it up to around 39,40 being careful on a long motorway drive but it is thirstier than a normal 1.6.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How much are you looking to pay?

Having owned a Focus in the past and now a Mondeo, I wouldn't ever consider getting a Focus again. A 2.0 TDCI Mondeo is bigger, faster, more economical, better value than a Focus.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found with VW that Passats second hand were cheaper than Golfs – presumably the smaller cars were more in demand as people don't see themselves as big car drivers, or don't like the size when parking etc.

Solo
    Free Member

Having owned a Focus in the past and now a Mondeo, I wouldn't ever consider getting a Focus again. A 2.0 TDCI Mondeo is bigger, faster, more economical, better value than a Focus

Oh, thats a shame. I've had a few mondeos now and was thinking of getting a current Focus as the replacement, as I worked on the design for the Dashboard 🙁
    Still, 18 months in France was OK, but that was ages ago.

spose I'll have to stick with Mondeos.

I_Ache
    Free Member

A 2.0 TDCI Mondeo might be faster and more economical than a Focus with a 1.6 petrol engine but it isnt a fair comparison. If you put the same engine in both cars the Focus would be Faster and more economical while also being better around town due to its smaller size and also absolutly fine on the motorway. The mondeo might be better on the motorway more comfortable and be able to carry more rubbish to the skip.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And a bigger car will cost more to insure. And not everyone needs one!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My mate's similar age 1.6 Focus did high 30s to the gallon.

TDCI is a fair bit thriftier.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

i have a 52 plate 1.6 petrol.

I get 38/39 mpg "without trying" and about 42/43mpg if im frugal / motorway driving.

I'd take 3mpg off for the estate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow.. those figures are eye-openers. I can get 33mpg from my Passat *whilst towing a caravan*

A 2.0 TDCI Mondeo might be faster and more economical than a Focus with a 1.6 petrol engine but it isnt a fair comparison

Sure, there are many factors. All I'm saying is that the larger cars CAN be cheaper, which may influence you. It influenced me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My Mondeo beats my old Focus 1.6 on mpg around town, motorways in fact every where.

I used to think that a mid sized car would be cheaper to run than a large family car, but going from a 1.6 focus to 2.0 Mondeo, I would never go back again.

Plus the fact that I bet you can get the Mondeo for the same money as the Focus. Certainly was the case on 54 plate cars when I got my Mondeo.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ford Focus Zetec Question’ is closed to new replies.