Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • For use on private land only – chip free chipping
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The electric bike has a limiter that uses the bike computer to calculate the speed and restrict assistance accordingly.

This sensor
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EMumK8]20160306_090827[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

is triggered when this magnet goes passed and the speed is calculated
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/EVFQt8]20160306_090851[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

If you strapped another magnet(from a magnetic kitchen door catch in this case) to the pedal arm thus:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/DYsWMp]20160306_104511[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

You can legally cycle to the private land where you have the land owners permission and then reposition the sensor so it is behind the pedal arm
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ETx6FU]20160306_104502[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Then, because your pedals don’t turn as fast as your wheels the speed calculated would be slower than it really was and the motor would continue to offer assistance at higher real speeds.

In top gear with this set-up the indicated speed of 7.6mph might equate to a phone GPS calculated speed of 28mph which is quite rapid off road. Don’t forget though, it is only an assist so you still end up knackered after pedaling like a loon to test it.

You have then simply remove the tape and reposition the sensor for the ride home with the magnet left in place for next time. All legal and won’t affect your warrenty.

Once more I state – only for use on private land

sandwicheater

Floor could do with a clean.

matt_outandabout

Braaaaaaaaaaaaap

Speeder

WorldClassAccident – Member

What could possibly go wrong?

dis40
    Free Member

oh dear, this will not end well!!!!!

(think i may need a electric bike soon on thursday nights!)

Harry_the_Spider

I see trouble ahead…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What happens if you just remove the magnet?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The electric assist doesn’t function at all

doug_basqueMTB.com

Could you add a second magnet to the wheel and make it more like a man´s bike? 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

well done sir ,you have invented the electric motorbike.

Hope your insured, MOT’d and licenced according to the output of your vehicle…..

scaredypants

electromagnet with variable frequency pulsing ?

come on WCA !!

amedias
    Free Member

does it require a signal at all? ie: no senser = UNLIIIIMITED POWERRRRRRRRR!

EDIT

The electric assist doesn’t function at all

boo!

ajr
    Free Member

A guy has fitted a 1000w electric motor on his Ventana El Gordo fat bike. his mates find it hard keeping him in sight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WCA with a de-restricted e-bike between his legs. Someone get the Go-Pro out for god sake!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hope your insured, MOT’d and licenced according to the output of your vehicle…..

Not required. I have made it explicitly clear in all my postings including the thread title that this is ONLY for use on private land. I even describe how to re-restrict it for the ride home.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve phoned SGH to let them know.

ninfan
    Free Member

Don’t forget – under the road traffic acts, ‘private land’ actually means private land to which the public do not have access either by right or by licence, whether by payment or otherwise.

derestricted use on forestry commission land, access land, country parks, common land, rights of way etc. etc. would all result in prosecution

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not required. I have made it explicitly clear in all my postings including the thread title that this is ONLY for use on private land. I even describe how to re-restrict it for the ride home.

Not worth the paper its written on 😉 if you want to go as fast as a motorbike buy a motorbike. Im pro electric bike but when people start doing this i lose my sympathy for their inclusion in unlicenced use and start to think they should be mot’d and insured as per their motored counterparts.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mopeds you twist the throttle and go, pedelecs you have to pedal to get assistance. I can assure you it is not effort free.

Before I bust my leg up I could happily ride at 25mph quite legally on a bike on the roads as well as on private land. I was just as dangerous then as now. Should all cyclist be licensed, insured MOTs for bikes etc?

Anyway – I am not too fussed about legal or not as I doubt I will hit the legal limiter anyway, I was just showing how those who were thinking of chipping their bikes could save £140 using a little magnet and some gaffer tape.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Mopeds you twist the throttle and go, pedelecs you have to pedal to get assistance. I can assure you it is not effort free.

Before I bust my leg up I could happily ride at 25mph quite legally on a bike on the roads as well as on private land. I was just as dangerous then as now. Should all cyclist be licensed, insured MOTs for bikes etc?

No – i believe that vehicles that are motorised above legal limits should be subject to the above points.

you maybe touched 25 mph now and again on the road but you were not averaging it for an hour – unless i missed the part where you were riding in the tour de france for a laugh between building jacuzzis.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

A guy has fitted a 1000w electric motor on his Ventana El Gordo fat bike. his mates find it hard keeping him in sight.

Stick it on the tandem version and rock and roll

matt_outandabout

I was just showing how those who were thinking of chipping their bikes could save £140 using a little magnet and some gaffer tape

You sir are cynic-al and I claim my £5

Sui
    Free Member

it took me 3 reads of the first few posts to understand exactly what was going on… im still not convinced what i thnk i know is what i do know.. 😐

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Simplified version for Sui – Stick a magnet on the pedal arm. Tape the sensor near the pedal arm. Job done*

*for use on private land only

you maybe touched 25 mph now and again on the road but you were not averaging it for an hour I couldn’t manage it on the assist bike either 🙂

Anyway, as I say. I am not proposing this is used anywhere other than where it is legal

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am also not proposing anyone tries to turn their 250W motor into a 350W motor…

Whats the difference between the 250w & 350w Bosch eBike motors? – Explained

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bloody knew it.. I just knew you would start playing around with the thing and get it chipped.

I am sniggering..

😆

Richie_B

WCA with a de-restricted e-bike between his legs. Someone get the Go-Pro out for god sake!

He’s going for the full titanium body replacement this time 😆

slowoldman

Just needs a bit of card in the spokes now.

rickmeister

Did you use a spoon ?

PH1

F##k the MOT and tax, why are you all so bothered about if it’s legal or not?……what a great idea!

TheSanityAssassin

This

Regardless of the thread title and WCA’s protestations, inevitable bellendery is inevitable.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just got in from the Thursday night ride. The only time I exceeded 15.5 miles an hour was down hill where gravity had more defect on my speed that electricity. The LEGAL boost system I was running allowed me to ride with my fitter and better friends.

Banning electric bikes because some people might chip them illegally, something I do not encourage, is as likely as banning cars as some people break speed limits. What will happen is that people who break God las may get caught and punished, not banning everyone from using electric bikes. Saying otherwise is scare stories, or more likely, generating column inches. No such thing as bad publicity.

mattbee

Was a bit disconcerting to be spinning oit my slightly off road biased 30:13 top gear on the road at 100-odd rpm while WCA cruised alongside at about 50 rpm.
    He didn’t leave us in clouds of illegally powered rubber and dust but even if he had, the simple fact that he’s been able to come out on a ride with us again after all this time, and a proper ride too, means o don’t care a fig for what he does to the thing as long as it doesn’t involve 240v inverters…

scaled
    Free Member

240v inverter and a trailside hot tub?

I wonder if you’d have to pedal to warm it up

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is all okay. I have been told categorically by a guy ‘Who knows his stuff’ that what I have suggested is impossible and that Bosch have created software to stop this working.

Clearly then what I have done has had no effect on the bike at all*.

*an internet expert has told me so

🙂

takisawa2

I think it’s a bloody ace idea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m glad we have WCA to try out these things before we do.

I think of him as a sacrificial lamb type person*… 😆

*not really.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Isn’t the motor or battery designed to work at a certain level?

I don’t want to see WCA downstairs burst into flames due to being curious

P-Jay
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member

It is all okay. I have been told categorically by a guy ‘Who knows his stuff’ that what I have suggested is impossible and that Bosch have created software to stop this working.

Clearly then what I have done has had no effect on the bike at all*.

*an internet expert has told me so

Awesome, the same Bosch who made the cheat device for VW and then told them not to use it with a nudge, nudge wink wink.

For the record, I think it’s a great bit of bodging

There’s a tiny risk that 1) Plod don’t have more important things to worry about 2) the average Copper would know the various rules in regards to e-bikes and how they’re electronically governed and be prepared to show that you’ve circumvented them 3) they don’t agree with your definition of private property, but really where’s the harm?

taxi25
    Free Member

Like that’s what’s really ,really, really going to happen with the vast majority who would de restrict their ebke 🙄
    You guys do what you want with your electric/ebikes, I don’t mind. But stop pretending your still somehow cyclists because you ain’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘For use on private land only – chip free chipping’ is closed to new replies.