Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • For use on private land only – chip free chipping
  • iainc

You guys do what you want with your electric/ebikes, I don’t mind. But stop pretending your still somehow cyclists because you ain’t.

Here’s hoping you don’t get a debilitating disease, or old and want to keep on cycling then… 😯

Harsh is an understatement…

Alex

I think of him as a sacrificial lamb type person*…

Sacrificial limb surely 🙂

I’m not sure the derestriction – or otherwise – of electric bikes is going to be the biggest area of conflict…..

pitduck
    Free Member

“inevitable bellendery is inevitable”…whether or not… 😐

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have just got back from a 2.5 hour ride (legal assist mode) and my thighs are burning and my arse is sore just like a real cyclist.

Just in case some of you are speaking from a position of ignorance and don’t know how the assist bit works I will try to explain it simply. It will also explain why there is no extra load on the motor.

If you imagine the motor is a light bulb controlled by a dimmer switch for a moment. When you switch it on the room is lit up and you can twiddle the knob to make it a bit brighter but never brighter than its maximum setting. The bike has four presets rather than continuously twiddlyable. With me so far?

Now imagine some big parental figure says you must turn your light off at 9pm. That is like the 15mph limit. It is totally arbitrary and the light doesn’t get any brighter after 9pm, it is just more useful.

The trouble seems to be that the big parental figure and their friends don’t need to use their lights as the have good eyes and can see anyway. There is fear and misunderstanding that the people who do need lights must be controlled as they might keep their lights on later than normal, perhaps even as late as they used too before their eyes went bad.

The motor doesn’t give out any more power, just the same extra Newton metres of twist it was giving before. This is added to the Newton metres of twist your legs are putting in. Trying to simplify this might be harder but I will try.

If I put enough effort in to my cycling to reach 6 mph th motor on max will add enough to get me to 10mph. +4mph
    If I put enough effort in to get to 10mph it will get me to 14mph. +4mph
    If I put in enough to get to 11mph it will get me to 15mph. +4mph
    If I put in enough to get to 12mph it will still just get me to 15mph. +3mph
    If I put in enough effort to get to 14mph it will still only get me to 15mph. +1mph.

Basically the speed limiter makes it pointless to pedal harder as you just hit this big period of pedalling where your effort is replacing the motor effort. It is a really unnatural feeling and start before the 15mph limit.

You don’t have a button or throttle that just takes you straight up to the limit, just an amount of assist. If you are riding at 40mph with full assist, the motor is doing no more work than at 4mph which is why it won’t burst into flames killing small children

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry, my mistake. I didn’t mean to use facts and information in a constructive manner on STW on a Friday. Can I have another go?

Here is something vaguely masquerading as relevant

Btw mopeds have legal restrictions on power and speed. There isn’t a kid with a moped and a set of scanners who hasn’t tried to bypass that.

They haven’t banned mopeds, just try to punish the bell ends.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Hope your bottom gets better soon

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thank you MrsFry – the warm water bubble jets in the hot tub are working wonders

choppersquad
    Free Member

Changing the subject slightly, what happened to that guy who strapped a mini jet engine to his bike?
    Haven’t seen any posts lately as to how it’s going?

teamslug
    Free Member

Choppersquad I think his orbit fetches him close to stw land in a couple of days.

nealglover
    Free Member

You guys do what you want with your electric/ebikes, I don’t mind. But stop pretending your still somehow cyclists because you ain’t.

Are all the decent trolls away for the weekend.

1/10

And that’s overly generous because I’m on my second glass.

somafunk

But stop pretending your still somehow cyclists because you ain’t.

Try saying that to Nico Vouilloz, possibly the greatest downhill cyclist ever (but open to opinion of course) 😉

Nico Vouilloz sees ebike racing as his future

5thElefant
    Free Member

But stop pretending your still somehow cyclists because you ain’t

I’ve got 6 bicycles. If you called my a cyclist I’d be very annoyed.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘For use on private land only – chip free chipping’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM