Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Folding shovels
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Anyone use one? The Gerber E-tool looks very tasty if a bit expensive.

falkirk-mark

got one for about 3 quid from argos, its okay for a little bit of trailbuilding when out with the dog but nowhere as good as a proper spade.

mudshark
    Free Member

I got a Lidl one as it was cheap and seemed a nice design – never used it but it lives in my car patiently waiting for it's moment of glory….

brakes
    Free Member

army surplus ones are good and strong enough, but all are not equal
    don't buy the cheapest of the cheap (<£10) as they will bend as they get a bit of abuse, but the next ones up will do
    I'd say £15-20 should do it
    one with a serrated side will be good for hacking out roots

swamp_boy

Most cheap ones are made of monkey metal and fall to bits the first time out, complete waste of money. Ex military ones should be OK but there are a lot of imitations. The British army ones with a wooden handle, pick and spade are good but are heavy. Usually come with a leather belt attachment.

willard

You get what you pay for really.

Essentially anything with a NATO stock number (NSN) should be fine as it's the same as what gets issued, which means usually quite tough, but the cheap copies will bend/break at the first, and usually most inconvenient, moment.

I've heard good things about the Gerber and I think it does carry an NSN. If you want something special, I saw a titanium folding shovel on the 'Bay at the end of last week. Trench digging bling at its best.

lyons
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but you can buy mini shovels from toolstation, they are about 20 inches long. So ok to have sticking out your bag to ride somewhere, but not great for just carrying around… Only 6 quid as well.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL @ Willard – Ti Shovel 🙄

mugsys_m8

If Shovel and not spade, then the METAL avalanche shovels from the likes of Black Diamond might be worth considering.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I wouldn't want to do any kind of serious digging in hard ground with my avalanche shovel. It's a metal blade, but it's aluminium, not steel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Folding shovels’ is closed to new replies.