Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • FoD Advice Needed
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Heading to the Forest of Dean on Sunday with a mixed group (abilities and fitness). I’ve only been once, about 10 years ago, and can’t remember much other than it would be easy to get lost. We’d like to do 20-30 miles I guess, assuming it’s not 2′ deep in snow.

Any suggestion on routes?

GPXs would be nice if anyone knows of any, or is it well waymarked now?

I remember a descent down some kind of old railway, complete with sleepers? Is that still there? How would I find it again?

tollah
    Free Member

The FOD has 1 waymarked trail at the moment which is the FODKA trail about 5 miles in length) and is marked from the carpark at the pedalabikeaway cyclecenter. Other than that you are own your own. There isn’t any point in giving out or trying to follow a GPX route down there as all the trails are crisscrossed singletracks, you’d only get lost. The best and only real solution is to get a local to take you out unless fireroads and family trails are what you’re after.
    30 decent miles in the FOD would take a quickish group 5 hours or so to complete. I wouldn’t consider taking a mixed group out for anything over 15miles otherwise you’ll need lights.

wwaswas

20+ miles in the current weather/ground conditions is quite an ask for inexperienced/relatively unfit people?

psling
    Free Member

I remember a descent down some kind of old railway, complete with sleepers? Is that still there?

Yes, it is. Old stone mounting blocks for a quarry tramline, gets a bit overgrown with brambles. We tend to avoid it because it’s of local industrial history interest 😳 Besides, there are much better ways to get from the start to the finish of that paticular hill but like the ‘tollah says, you need to be shown ideally.

The guys at Pedalabikeaway at Cannop will point you in the direction of some half decent trails in that area; there is also a map available there which gives a general overlay.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Oh bugger. Should have been more specific with ‘mixed’. I’m not talking fat middle-aged heart attacks in the making.

The worst train/play football 3 times a week and are early 20s. Arguably they’re very fit, but they’re new to mountainbikes so bike fitness isn’t quite there, and they’re not that fast on technical stuff. They coped with the CyB Beast OK, if a little slowly, and I’ve taken them on a few 2-3 hour / 15+ milers in Tetbury/Wotton/Cranham which I think are similar conditions to FoD. I’m assuming it’ll be fast(ish) and frozen like it’s been around my local trails recently.

Sounds like we’ll have to see what we can find. We’ll make Pedalabikeaway our first stop.

Rickos
    Free Member

Not frozen at the moment. Been 7 or 8 degrees here today.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not frozen at the moment. Been 7 or 8 degrees here today.

Yeah, I’m assuming the greatly trailed arctic blast will sort that out.

tollah
    Free Member

It will be fastish if its frozen but it can be technical in places if you know where to look. Theres no way you’ll be able to find 20 miles of good trails there without help.
    If I was you I’d organise a local for another time and make the best of the trails you do know this weekend. I’d offer to show you about but can’t make it this weekend. I’llhappily offer you some time in the New Year in return for a cuppa 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks, I might just take you up on that 🙂

We’ve got one eye on the weather, so rearranging to a local ride is a distinct possibility.

amt27
    Free Member

you need a local guide 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Do a search for Fountain Inn Parkend, there’s some routes on their site.

You might want to do 10 miles or so around the FODCA trial area (follow the way marked trail then your nose, the official trail is very short) and the rest on the family route in the east of the forest (fire road).

Have fun.

luked2
    Free Member

Hijack – I’m doing something similar on the 15th of Jan. Any offers of some pointers would be very welcome!

Thanks!
    Luke

tollah
    Free Member

I may be around on the 15th, best to email me nearer the time. Email in profile.

luked2
    Free Member

Thanks!

thefod
    Free Member

You can find plenty of stuff and route info with some gpx. too @ http://thefod.co.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘FoD Advice Needed’ is closed to new replies.