Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Focus 2.0 TDCI?
  • motorman
    Free Member

Been looking at getting one of these in estate titanium form as a new family bus. Seem to get good reviews, but has anyone got anything good/bad to say about them from experience?

glenh
    Free Member

I thought my focus mk2 was fairly poorly built compared to my focus mk1 and new golf.

Lots of stuff broken at relatively low mileage (wheel bearings, alternator, ac, hand brake, interior bits) and plenty of creaks and rattles.

It was one of the first mk2s (05) though, maybe they improved the build?

motorman
    Free Member

The one we were looking at was a 2008 facelift, so hopefully they sorted out the quality issues 😕

Drac

Driven them at work, seem Ok not a great build quality but not bad nice enough lay out and not bad to drive. What you expect from Ford really functional, practical but not very exciting.

aP
    Free Member

Our 06 still goes, stops and goes round corners. Oh, and if you change the steering sensitivity to twitchy it becomes very tiring to drive on long motorway journeys.

highclimber
    Free Member

I have the mondeo version of the one you are thinking of getting and I love it. very comfortable to drive and quite good on economy if driven well. Do it!

Cougar

I have the mondeo version of the one you are thinking of getting and I love it.

Likewise (only hatch rather than estate).

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a 57 plate mk2 petrol.Ubiquitous yes,but still a great car to drive.Love the steering,gearshift quality,well thought out ergonomics and general handling and the consistency of all the controls.Ride is a a tad firm at low speed but smooths out nicely once going.
    Doors a bit clangy and some hard plastics in places but other than that I rate the build quality.
    Interior and boot space a big step up over the mark 1.
    Not as solid,nor good looking as a Golf or the new Astra,but nicer to drive where it counts.
    I went for the petrol,though as they handle better and I was put off about too many stories of DMF failures on diesels and I don`t do a big mileage.

stevemtb
    Free Member

My old boys got one in the same trim. He’s delighted with it but it was a step up from an 02 Astra estate.

Driven it for a few miles, engine isn’t as keen as the Mondeo 2.2tdci in my ST but it still pulls well. Plenty of nice toys in it and seemed to be pretty roomy. He’s getting good mpg out of it too.

boblo
    Free Member

Mrs Boblo has an 07 one.

Very economical, gets mid 50’s on a run and grunty enough for fuss free overtakes. Not as nice handling as a petrol with the additional weight up front.

It’s done 55k miles from new with us. It’s had a clutch, a DMF, an alternator and an EGR valve plus servicing and tyres. Watch out for the DPF version as they need replacing at ~70k for ~£900. Injectors are also prone to failure as well apparently though we’ve not had the pleasure (yet). Massive £££’s to fix.

The faults I’ve outlined above are very common. Either beware of them when buying privately or get a nice warranty from a dealer.

Pretty sure I won’t be buying another as the costly repairs and diesel vs petrol pricing don’t offset the additional purchase price/mpg’s for the mileage we do. A nice 1.8l ish petrol something or other will be be on my list next time.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s done 55k miles from new with us. It’s had a clutch, a DMF, an alternator and an EGR valve

To be fair that’s shocking for a modern car.

I test drove one, glad I didn’t get it now. The reasons I didn’t were a) really stingy on equippment and b) it was just.. meh. Maybe if I lived in the countryside with windy roads I’d have enjoyed it more but I don’t.

Watch out for the DPF version as they need replacing at ~70k for ~£900

Sceptical if this really is always a regular service item, shocking if it is.

retro83
    Free Member

Very economical, gets mid 50’s on a run and grunty enough for fuss free overtakes. Not as nice handling as a petrol with the additional weight up front.

It’s done 55k miles from new with us. It’s had a clutch, a DMF, an alternator and an EGR valve plus servicing and tyres. Watch out for the DPF version as they need replacing at ~70k for ~£900. Injectors are also prone to failure as well apparently though we’ve not had the pleasure (yet). Massive £££’s to fix.

Doesn’t seem very economical once you factor all that in. 😯 I’ve got a mk2.5 1.8 petrol and get 38.5 mpg on my 15 mile commute to work.

Edit: mpg from android app, not onboard computer

Woody
    Free Member

Drive one at work and as far as economy goes I’m not impressed, as when taking it very easy on quiet ‘b’ roads I’m lucky to get 4ompg – I get better than that on my 13 year old 2.0 petrol Ford! Quite agile and predictable when pushing it and reasonably comfortable but has a very obvious turbo lag and is absolutely gutless at low revs.

Drac

To be fair Woody your carrying a huge amount of gear in the back of it though, plus all the electrics it’s running and the muckle light bar the top.

legend
    Free Member

It was one of the first mk2s (05) though, maybe they improved the build?

well my 55 plate 2.0 petrol Titanium has needed £0 of repairs in 43,000 if that’s anything to go on

aP
    Free Member

The only repairs our 06 has needed is due to other people knocking bits off it.

Woody
    Free Member

To be fair Woody your carrying a huge amount of gear…..

True….and thanks for failing to mention that I am not exactly sylph-like 😳

spooky_b329

You can ‘upgrade’ to a Mondeo for around the same amount of cash.

If I were to buy another, I’d save a bit of cash and go for a petrol rather than the more desirable diesel unless I was doing big miles. The diesels have two issues…injectors and the dual mass flywheel. Both costing around £1000 each if they go wrong.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Focus 2.0 TDCI?’ is closed to new replies.