Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flying in SPD shoes?
  • alpinegirl
    Free Member

Hello
    Am off to Finland for a bike tour tomorrow and am just taking my SPD trainers – does anyone know if I can get through security at the airport with these? Or will the lumps of metal be a problem?

I am planning on buying a pair of sandals at some point, but haven't had a chance yet so will probably be in the departures lounge…

glenp
    Free Member

They often ask you take your shoes off when you go through the metal detector these days anyway. Can't see it being a problem.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you'd be pushing it. Its not so much that they'd think they were a threat, more that it would be so unusual. They arent paid to think too hard about it all – if in doubt, they'll just play it safe and have them off you and then you're flying in airsocks 🙂

Wear some cheapo flip-flops.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can get them through, but i'd put your cocaine in your tyres not the soles of your shoes

meehaja
    Free Member

Take your cleats off?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

just take your shoes off and put them in the scanner, i do it all the time with steel toe cap boots, you'll just have to explain why you've done it, that may be the tricky bit because as Stoner said, they don;t tend to be the sharpest tools in the box

geoffj

Don't do it. Sharpest in the box? – some of these folk aren't even in the pound shop tools department.

cp

when i've flown with bike, i just chuck the shoes in the bike box and use some cheap (2 quid) flip-flops to wander through the airport. mighty useful to have on tour aswell, and weigh next to nothing.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I reckon you would be fine as long as you take your shoes off, but as said, easiest to take the cleats off and stick them in your bag

mtbrDot
    Free Member

Put on socks without holes. You'll be fine. 🙂

feartie
    Free Member

I've done it loads of times and never had a problem. I've even gone through the metal detector with them on and not set it off!

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Thanks for all the (slightly non-conclusive!) answers. I'm too lazy to take the cleats off so will see how I feel at 4am tommorow morning…

Apparently Lufthansa prefer it if you don't pack your bike up because they have special bikeholders in the plane so that should be interesting!

ChrisE
    Free Member

No probs, I have flown loads of times with my SPDs on and will be doing so again next month. Just take your shoes off at the metal detector where everyone else takes off belt buckles, car keys etc and put them in the tray (xray machine) with them.

you'll have no probs

C

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I reckon it should be ok. I put a pair of SPDs through in my hand luggage this week.

sofatester
    Free Member

Its funny how one incident of someone with a "shoe bomb" can cause so much inconvenience. I guess they have to been seen to be doing something.

So much for "winning the war on terror" 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flying in SPD shoes?’ is closed to new replies.