Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flight friendly multi tool?
  • andybach
    Free Member

Are there any multi tools available which can be taken on a plane as hand luggage?

Have had to surrender a couple of good pocket knives at security – forgetting they were at the bottom of a bag or a coat pocket.

thanks

Drac

Why do you need to carry one in your hand luggage, seems too risky to me and unnecessary.

Cletus

Leatherman Fuse No Knife

http://www.shop4leatherman.co.uk/leatherman_fuse_no_knife.html

Does not have a knife but does have scissors so would probably not be allowed.

I think you will struggle as even a simple screwdriver would be likely to be confiscated.

leffeboy

Ok, not really that useful but rather cool all the same

Mintman
    Free Member

Yeah I had my multitool taken off me because “I might undo the aircraft”.

I did make a heroic stand since the legislation surrounding tools is along the lines of “trade or industrial tools that can be used as a weapon”. The helpful security lady wasn’t having none of it. I won’t attempt to take another on a plane again though.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

i’ve had a park mt1 through security a few times but its only a matter of time before it gets taken off me by security. Once they decide its not getting on the plane its not going anywhere.

Why do you need it in your hand luggage anyway?

NewRetroTom

Airlines won’t let any tools on at all usually.
    I had an allen key set taken off me at the airport once.

Having sad that my girlfriend was allowed to bring her swiss army knife on the flight back from Geneva in February. Only once the x ray dude had made a point of showing that he had spotted it on the scanner in her hand luggage though.

andybach
    Free Member

Thanks Cletus – that looks useful

I usually only travel with hand luggage – well laptop bag and small suitcase.

I was on a last minute standby ticket last month and had to take a big suitcase on the plane (Air china who were ace btw) – only realised as it went through the scanner that it contained a multi tool, plus pocket knife – but no-one batted an eye lid.

I have travelled with simle “computer repair kit” – which contained pliers and screw drivers without problems in the past.

But it does seem to depend on airport / threat level / general business…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flight friendly multi tool?’ is closed to new replies.