Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Flexible working request…wording advice please.
  • penguinni

A friend works for a major retailer and is currently contracted to around 25 hours per week which involves working on 5 days per week.

She was recently diagnosed with cancer which is treatable but not curable.

She is finding the treatment tiring and would like to reduce the number of days she has to work to 4 and the hours to 20ish

The company application procedure requires her to state why she would like this which is pretty straightforward to answer but the second part of the application asks her to state the impact this change would have on a) the business and b) her work colleagues.

Can anyone help me compose a favourable response for her?

Thanks

penguinni

Any wordsmiths or bolshy union reps around this morning?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bolshy union rep you say?

I have no direct experience with this sort of issue but I guess what she needs to do for the second part is to point out how this can be done. Need to look at the rostering of the staff and the numbers of staff at her grade. I bet there are somw times with more staff than others so point out how here reduction in hours could rebalance this I wouldn’t make too much of this part however – just point out that it would have minimal impact.

Have a look on the TUC site to see if there is any help. Ask her union rep.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m very sorry to hear. I’ve a friend in a very similar position at the moment and it sucks.

MikeG

Posting from my phone so apologies for any typos and bad grammar.

She should be requesting the reduction in hours as a reasonable adjustment relating to her illness, under the equality act 2010 (the replacement to the disability discrimination act) cancer is recognised as a disability so her employer has to make adjustments for this.

The macmillan website has some usefull information.

Hope she sorts something out and the treatment goes well for her.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Flexible working request…wording advice please.’ is closed to new replies.