Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Flat pedals, pin height?
  • el_diablo
    Free Member

What works best on flat pedals for general xc with frequent gnarly bits?

Just waiting for my new pedals to arrive, Superstar Mags. I’m going to loctite the pins in, but just started wondering if I should put them all at the same height. Trying to work out what effect having them longer in the middle or leading or trailing edge or outside edge might have.

Any thoughts?

deanfbm
    Free Member

It will alter the concave. The concave is there so your foot sits in the pedal, rather than on it.

Concave is a personal preference thing. I like a good bit of concave/shorter pins. I feel that a good feeling pedal does not need uber long pins for grip, its all about the foot getting in.

Then your shoes come into it too. if you have rigid clogs like 510s, they dont have the flex in the sole to sit in the pedal, they’ll always be sitting on top and will have to rely on big pins for grip. my preference is mgea thin, flexible soled shoes. I like to have lots of pedal feel and feedback, it also negates the need for mega long pins for grip, making my shins feel safer.

You’ll have to experiment.

But you won’t generally ever have longer pins in the middle than the edges. This will negate any concave and prevent your foot from sitting “in” the pedal.

Pedals, a thing which is down to preference. Another thing where people can’t tell you what’s best, but just what has worked for them. You could be the same, you could be different. there is no right or wrong.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals, pin height?’ is closed to new replies.