Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Flat Pedals – Pick Some For Me!!!
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

In the market for some flat pedals but I cant make a decision!!

The options I have are:

– Funn Soljam Viper
    – Wellgo B54/B25/B27
    – Easton Flatboy
    – Superstar Nano
    – Shimano DX

What would the STW massive choose, any other options that I have missed?

Ta in advance.

DT78
    Free Member

Nanos. In fact I have a spare set, in black you can have for £25 posted.

geetee1972
    Free Member

MBR do a quick review of flat pedals this month.

The Nanos are a great choice based on grip and weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

superstar

scruff
    Free Member

Ive had
    DMRv12
    Wellgo B54 & B27
    Superstar Nano
    Shimano DX

Nanos are the best for me, thinnerist, good grip without long studs, nice wide platform. Only used on my DH bike though, not sure on bearing lastingness.

Shimano are thick and small platform but last ages.

Wellgo good and cheap, decent pins and OK thinnisity best VFM. I have some on my HT.

DMRs, didnt rate them, not sure what the fuss isabout.

GW
    Free Member

depends how you ride, Nanos are a nice shape and well made but the axles are def not upto hard use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burgtech penthouse flats

Probably the last pair of pedals I will ever have to buy, got em in disco camo so they clash nicely with everything 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

+1 on the Burgtec’s.

Bomb proof, big platform, and plenty of bling…

lovetoride
    Free Member

DT78, what model have you got?

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve always used the cheapest wellgos you can buy (something like a tenner) and never had any problems with them. That was on my bmx as well as mtbs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Gussett Slim Jims are worth a look. Very happy with mine (cartridge bearing version) now I’ve worked out I need to loctite the pins in place.

jedi

i realy like azonic afames. mg1’s are too small and soft for me

lovetoride
    Free Member

I only have around size 8 feet so size probably wouldnt be to much of an issue although they’re quite wide. Can the mg1s take some decent abuse then?

scruff
    Free Member

Burgtecs and other high ends pedals are too much money IMO for the amount of stick they get, you can get 3/4 pairs of cheaper ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

In fact I just this minute got a pair of sealed bearing Slim Jims off CRC for £28 – and they’re only £32 if you don’t want green ones.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=17286

Not supposed to be buying bike bits at the moment, but I like my other set so much more than my Wellgos and DMRs that I couldn’t resist.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can the mg1s take some decent abuse then?

I’d say no. Only pedal I’ve ever managed to kill.

Liek Jedi said, too soft.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burgtecs and other high ends pedals are too much money IMO

Yes, but inspite of having broken/worn out almost every other component on my bike I’ve not even touched them, my only gripe is the weight, which has been solved for the MK3’s.

GW
    Free Member

Sorry to tell you chaka but slimjims are pretty shit TBH but if you are happy with them the EBC branded ones are only £19.99 (in black)

coogan
    Free Member

Wellgo B54’s have been excellent for me.

grumm
    Free Member

Superstar here.

kimbers

superstar are excellent
    why pay more?

simon_g

I chose Nanos. I’m happy with that choice.

rewski
    Free Member

Been running DMRv12, Shimano DX and Easton Flatboys for a few years, all of them great pedals, the DMR’s squeek like mad if you don’t grease them on a regular basis, DX’s bearings are very smooth but I find the pins a little small, Easton Flatboys are a good solid pedal but big and a little heavy, I’d probably go for the flat boys though. What I would say it get a decent pairs of shoes, I’ve had the Shimano AM40’s and the sole has been shredded to bits, going to give five tens a try. And be prepared for a few extra holes in your shins and calves.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry to tell you chaka but slimjims are pretty shit TBH

No, that’s OK, I don’t mind.

Why you think so though? Genuinely v impressed with mine.

yunki
    Free Member

I think MG-1s are ace… but then.. If I was clattering into things often enough to wreck my pedals I would be seriously questioning my ridng style..

unless you are riding trials or rhinocore they are fine..

grumm
    Free Member

I put MG1s on my GF’s bike and they are nowhere near as good as the SS ones imo.

GW
    Free Member

Why you think so though?

I hope for your sake you don’t ride techy descents in very muddy conditions often
    Firstly the stupid recesses around the pins fill with mud rendering the pins almost useless and to top it off the outer edge is has cut aways rather than a raised edge meaning your feet have a nice slope to slide off to the outside.
    They are a truely awful design.. they can work OK if you replace the outer edge pins for longer ones though, I still use a set on one BMX where wet weather grip isn’t an issue and moving foot position easliy is a benefit.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Seems like a mixed response, looks like the nano shading it, DX look ok but smallish platform but should be OK for me, wellgo’s seem like a decent low price option. If I decided on the nanos what version should I go for, thru pin or normal grub screw version?

Thanks for your answers and reasoning.

davcow
    Free Member

5050 XX. Not the single X version

Had mine for about 3 years or so.
    Got some good rock scars on them, been through everything rain, mud, sleet, snow, and the bearings are still fine.

Great with fivetens

jedi

i got azonic aframes on bottlerocket/demo9 and bmx and left the mg1s on the hummer. i need to find another model as aframes are not made anymoree iirc 🙁

mattjng
    Free Member

DT78, if no one has taken you up on those Nanos, I am interested

On a budget: Wellgo MG1
    No expense spared: Burgtec Penthouse Flats

I have both and like both. But to be honest, when I use my Vans with the 5-10 rubber soles they’re both as good as each other.

ART

Nanos – stop asking already. On all my bikes now after ditching the shite DMR ones. 10% off at the mo too, probably off the back of that lovely MBR review. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

GW – Interesting thanks. I had long pins from start so not noticed these problems.

Just seen SSC are flogging those Nanos a bit cheaper now so might get them instead for £10 more/100g lighter anyway.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Jedi, you not used the Azonic 420’s?

DT78, if they’re grub screw version I will most likely takke them, if not then mattjng feel free!

gonzy
    Free Member

i agree with scruff re: DMR pedals, dont see what the fuss is all about them, having used a pair i wasnt all that impressed with their performance given the price.
    i have a pair of wellgo b25 on my freeride rig and they are really good for the price so they get the VFM thumbs up. i’ve had them for over 4 years and they still look new.
    i have a pair of easton cullys on my DH rig which i have to say are the absolute dog’s knackers. ok they cost a fair bit to buy and i’m not sure if theyre still in production but performance wise i cannot fault them at all. superbly strong, comfortable and grippy as hell no matter what the conditions are.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Outland if on a budget (I did a review, look in my post history) or Canfield for the best

chakaping
    Free Member

i have a pair of wellgo b25 on my freeride rig and they are really good for the price so they get the VFM thumbs up. i’ve had them for over 4 years and they still look new.

Have your edge pins stayed in place? I’ve lost a few of mine and they don’t look replaceable. Do you know if they are?

lovetoride
    Free Member

MrNutt, read your review, what other pedals have you used to compare them to?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals – Pick Some For Me!!!’ is closed to new replies.