Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Flat pedal riding technique questions
  • bennyh09
    Free Member

Just changed back to flats a month ago, gets you using proper technique, and personally i'm loving it.. highly recommend it!! But its down to the rider at the end of the day.

RustySpanner

simonfbarnes – Member

The aim would be to get a spinning motion rather than just mashing the pedals. Is that the right idea?

the difference is entirely psychological. The pedals are physically constrained to go in a circle (relative to the BB) and so long as your foot doesn't slip, whatever you think you are doing doesn't matter

The usual Barnes B@@@@@it.

Since changing to flats a couple of years ago, I've found it massively helpful to think 'Big smooth circles' when pedalling uphill or in any situation where smoothness & traction is the key.

Link it to your breathing, imagine your feet turning smooooooth circles and your traction increases.

Singing 'Yon Yonsson' to yourself as a personal mantra whilst grinding up your own personal Calvary may have also have a positive and beneficial effect on your life. YMMV.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm riding more with flats recently after a big off directly related to my foot slipping off the pedal – the problem was I didn't have my heels down when doing a drop and I lost my footing.

I'd say heels down as much as you can whether going up or down or along. On the rough stuff "heels down" really helps to keep your feet on the pedals but they still bounce a little. Also position your foot on the pedal so it rotates forward and backward on the axle easily – ie have the axle just behind the ball of your foot.

But saying this I'm just an internet punter and I could be talking bull so I'd say get out there and try some of this and see what works for you.

kimbers

well i survived a day at cwmcarn DH on flats after about 10 years riding spuds

and i didnt die

had a few moments here and there when jumping but didnt notice a massive difference
    http://mrg.photium.com/photo5546373.html#photo

will see how it goes on a rougher steeper course that im less familiar with next month (caersews)

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal riding technique questions’ is closed to new replies.