Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fixie cranks, gear ratio help
  • djbagines
    Free Member

Hello,

Little bit of help really on what crank set I should get for a new fixie build of mine. It’s for a on one macinato which has a 68mm english thread b/b shell.

Looking to spend £100 max, new or used in good condition.

Also what kind of gear I should go for? It’s a commute to work and back which is all flat and about 8 miles each way. I’m not the fittest rider but I ain’t that unfit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

thomthumb
    Free Member

velosolo sell some nice SS kit.

you probably want to run ~70 gear inches so 42:16/ 48:18 are about the sort of gearing you’d want.

djbagines
    Free Member

This may seem stupid, but I take it there’s no way of me fitting a mtb crank to it like a xt hollowtech?

deets

I’ve just got a Stronglight 2000 chainset and matching BB from Planet X for £70. Absolutely superb so far and lots less than I’ve seen it elsewhere. I ride 48×17 for flat/rolling rides which works well for me

simon1975

This may seem stupid, but I take it there’s no way of me fitting a mtb crank to it like a xt hollowtech?

If that’s what you’ve got already then that might work for you. It depends what chainline your hub gives you. Presumably around 42mm for a standard track hub, so you want to match that with the cranks as close as possible. You don’t need to put them on the bike to measure them, and consider using the spacers to off-centre the cranks a tad if that helps. You need to consider chainring to chainstay clearance too but it sounds like you want a smallish ring which should be fine.

I like these:
    http://outspokencycles.co.uk/chainsets/SuginoRD2_cranks.html
    with a Shimano UN55 bottom bracket and a Surly ring and some short chainring bolts.

Edit: I run 50:18 on the roadie fixie, 39:16 on my off-roading Pompino but a very low 34:16 on the MTB

djbagines
    Free Member

Okay, got a couple cranks to choose from. I reckon for my self a 44;16 should be alright to get going on. Going to try and fit some old xt cranks on that I have laying around.

djbagines
    Free Member

Cheers for your help guys!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fixie cranks, gear ratio help’ is closed to new replies.