Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fixed MTB – Good or Bad?
  • ziggy
    Free Member

Got an old Orange Prestige frame given to me, got loads of parts lying around to build it with, only thing I need to buy are wheels.

Should I go fixed? Thinking of spare slicks for commuting too, do I need to bother with a rear brake?

sc-xc

Do it. Get a velosolo adapter from Charlie and you’re away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

thomthumb
    Free Member

try it – it’s fun.

i haven’t run a rear brake on mine – but think it would’ve been good.

i didn’t get a dics fixed hub cos they aren’t cheap – my hub cost about £15. (wheel for £45)

attractivefish
    Free Member

i’ve been riding fixed off road for the last couple of years including the SITS solo for the last 2 years, i love it but its hard to ride with any one else as you tend to be really slow on what would normally be fast decents, steep tech decents are so much fun though as you have to think about where your pedals are going to be at which point of the section, as for road all i ride is fixed.

Give it a go but dont fit a rear brake.

ziggy
    Free Member

Like the look of that velosolo, thanks for that, anyone know who the distributor is?

attractivefish
    Free Member

go direct to their own website, great service.

ziggy
    Free Member

Well I haven’t ridden fixed for about 12 years,although I did commute for 3 years on it, I’m sure a couple of kicks in the heels will remind me. Might leave off the SPDs at first or just get used to it on the road.

I presume 32/16T as per SS is a good place to start?

attractivefish
    Free Member

i currently run both on and off road with velosolo chainrings & sprockets

attractivefish
    Free Member

just get used to it on road, but dont take the spd’s off as you’ll be pulling on the your front foot to slow/skid as for ratios i use 44/18 on road & 32/18 off but i live in the peak so not really much flat stuff, i used to run 32/16 off road but cant be arsed with the effort anymore 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fixed MTB – Good or Bad?’ is closed to new replies.