Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Five Tens to Teva links
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Has anyone done the swap? How does the grip of the Tevas compare?

My Karvers are in need of replacement.

coogan
    Free Member

Wowzers. I was about to ask the same question!

mikey74
    Free Member

Great minds… etc etc

cubemeup
    Free Member

Fives tens all day

mikey74
    Free Member

You’ve ridden both?

zbonty

No idea but they look bleedin’ awful don’t they? Not seen them in the flesh though.

I keep meaning to get some proper footwear as i’m all kitted out in terms of bike/clothing, have always ridden flats but have only used various trainer or skate type jobbies(and been fine with grip levels on offer).

Genuine question-what does a fancy mtb specific trainer offer for approaching £100? Is it just sticky rubber? I’m possibly after better pedaling efficiency but not fussed about spd’s.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of freeriders and have had impacts in past, bought some links over winter and although they are grippy enough I think their strength lies in the weatherproofness (not sure that’s a word) and how comfortable they are rather than outright grip, I use mine for trail riding but always grab a pair of five tens for dh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No idea but they look bleedin’ awful don’t they?

FiveTen Karvers? Yes, they do!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Switched to Tevas when they first came out – got taken in by the “waterproof” hype.

a) They’re no more waterproof than 5.10s. If they’re not utterly sopping they dry out a wee bit quicker, but if they’re properly soaked there’s nowt in it.

b) Grip is no where near 5.10 levels. I really struggled with them, and ended up flogging them for another pair of 5.10 Freeriders.

mikey74
    Free Member

No idea but they look bleedin’ awful don’t they?

I don’t really care how they look.

Edit: Looks like another pair of the Karvers it is.

Simon

Tevas are nowhere near as grippy as Five Tens.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

had both, but the best I’ve had so far are sombrio x-shazam. They’re as comfy as tevas, grip is closer to fiveten but more waterproof than either.

Wozza
    Free Member

I have. I went from 5Tens to Links. The links are much better made and slightly more waterproof but there’s no two ways about it the 5tens are much grippier.

So to sum up the 5tens are utterly excellent at gripping flat pedals and holding water… Until they fail catastrophically.

If I chose again it’d be 5ten, but the Tevas are perfectly fine too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input Wozza.

svalgis
    Free Member

As has been said, grip levels really not comparable to Five Ten’s. On proper descents it really isn’t a problem, but I do miss my Five Ten’s when it’s rough and pedally. Waterproofness was good when they were new, but a few months on they are comparable to my Freeriders. Karvers are better in that respect.

zbonty

Pass the eye-bleach and a rusty nail now i’ve seen the Karvers… If Gunther von Hagens made dodgems!

So no-ones interested in their shoes pedalyability, or looks, obviously 😉

Its purely all about magical grip qualities?
    Now, i have never tried on any special rubber(shoes) yet i have generally maintained good contact with various pedals, using various shoes over 20 years. So i guess its all down to technique?

Or should i get some special foot rubber..?

guitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got Links, 5Ten Impacts and Sombrio X-shazam currently.
    Mirror the comments re grip comparisons of 5Ten and Tevas.
    The Sombrios run the 5Tens damn close for grip, although they are hideous in charcoal. £45 currently on CRC though. Know which I’d be buying if I needed new shoes right now. (The Sombrios in case that wasn’t obvious)

mikey74
    Free Member

I happen to find the Karvers very comfortable and the next best thing to being clipped in for pedaling.

As above: I couldn’t care less about looks.

Edit: That was towards Bonty

zbonty

I was half tempted to try those Sombrios at that price…but my size is not available.

The search continues

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Switched from Karvers to Links and won’t be going back.
    The Links are far more comfortable and don’t feel like they’re made of concrete 🙂

jam-bo

They’re ok but the ion mask thing is marketing guff and they are starting to fall apart. I won’t be buying another pair.

alpin
    Free Member

Nike 6.0 Mogan FTW.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve just switched my freeriders for the links.

Links plus points

-Links are more comfy by a mile
    -Weigh less
    -Better made
    -Don’t get heavy when wet (they are not waterproof!)

Five tens are quite a bit grippier mind, some good deals kicking around on the links if you have a look which is why I bought them, I seem to be wearing them all the time now even off the bike. Watch the sizing though they are very different interns of legnth and width!

HTH

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Five Tens to Teva links’ is closed to new replies.